Norwegian Education Exchange Program
For its Norwegian Teacher Education exchange program, Augustana University partners with the following Norwegian institutions:
- Nord University
- Innland Norway University of Applied Sciences
- University College of Southeast Norway
Exchange students are welcome to join us for our:
January (only) 4-5 week Praxis/School Placement Program: Observe and assist in an American school classroom. Exchange students can be placed in Kindergarten, elementary, middle or high schools in all subject areas (subject to availability). Students earn 3 U.S. credits or 6 ECTS credits.
Fall Semester Program (Fall 16 weeks), Spring Semester Program (16 weeks) or Combined January/Spring Semester Program (20 weeks) — Students will enroll in 5 courses or 15 credit hours each semester which is equivalent to 30 ECTS credits. Students may take theory courses or theory courses that include school placements/praxis. Praxis/placements available in Kindergarten, elementary, middle or high schools in all subject areas (subject to availability). Students enrolling for the combined January/Spring Semester program may take 15-18 credits or 30-36 ECTS credits.
Year Program (Fall, January and Spring Semester) — Students are welcome to enroll for an entire school year (Fall semester, January term, Spring Semester) if given approval by their home university. Students will earn 30-33 U.S. credits or 60-66 ECTS credits. Students may take theory courses or theory courses that include school placments/praxis. Praxis/placements available in Kindergarten, elementary, middle or high schools in all subject areas (subject to availability).
Norwegian students applying for admission to Augustana University for our semester, year or January-term programs must complete the following steps listed below:
(Documents for Steps 2, 3 and 4 may be submitted online in your application account.)
- Step 2 — Submit a copy of your Norwegian University College Transcripts (Karakterutskrift).
- Step 3 — Submit a copy of your Passport Information Page that includes your name, date of birth and photo.
- Step 4 — Submit a Professional Essay (one-two pages) including the information below:
- Summary of experiences in Teacher Education and previous Classroom or Praxis Settings
- Goals for professional practice in the future, including grade/age level, subject area or specialty teaching area.
- Also list any mandatory courses you are required to take while studying at Augustana University (if applicable).
After official admission to Augustana University, the admitted students will submit the following completed forms (Steps 5, 6 & 7). All forms should be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
- Additional Forms (best viewed using Internet Explorer 7.0 and above)
- Step 5 — Required Immunization Form - Take this form to your doctor's office and request they fill this out and sign it.
- Step 6 — Physical Exam Form - Take this form to your doctor's office and request they fill this out and sign it.
- Step 7 — Letter from home university indicating that they have on file a Certificate of Good Conduct issued by police authorities in student’s hometown (police background check). You do not need a new background check. You may use the background check that your university has on file for your current Teacher Education program.
Exchange students may take any course at Augustana as long as they have completed pre-requisite courses. Norwegian exchange students have taken courses from many of the following departments (links below lead you to course descriptions; please note that not all courses are taught every semester):