Augustana University recognizes the serious health implications related to the use of tobacco products and to indirect exposure to tobacco.
In order to minimize the harmful effects and discomfort that smoking produces and because the University believes it has an obligation to promote a healthy, smoke-free environment for its students, employees and visitors, Augustana prohibits the use of tobacco products in or on University property effective Aug. 1, 2017.
Commitment to Community
Augustana University is committed to assisting members of the campus community in tobacco cessation. AU recognizes that quitting tobacco use can be a significant personal challenge and that tobacco-cessation programs are an integral component in implementing this policy. Review a listing of cessation resources. An overview is available at augie.edu/tobacco.
- Tobacco Products: Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, all forms of smokeless tobacco, clove cigarettes and any other smoking devices that use tobacco, such as hookahs, or simulate the use of tobacco, such as electronic cigarettes.
- Augustana Property: All indoor spaces and all outdoor grounds including parking areas — this also applies to University-owned or leased vehicles.
- Outdoor Grounds: All University sidewalks, parking lots, landscaped areas and recreational areas. This includes the parking lot located next to the Sioux Falls Seminary building and across the street from the Administration building, the Elmen Center parking lot, and the parking lots outside of the Madsen Center, Froiland Science Complex, Humanities Center, Nelson Service Building and all residence halls.
Statement of Policy
- Smoking or use of other tobacco products is prohibited on all campus grounds, University-owned or leased properties, and University-owned, leased or rented vehicles. This includes but is not limited to all University sidewalks, parking lots, landscaped areas and recreational areas; and at lectures, conferences, meetings and social and cultural events held on University property or grounds. Smoking is also prohibited in the interior of all buildings, University residences and residence halls.
- This policy applies to all faculty, staff, students, clients, contractors and visitors during and after campus hours.
- Augustana University will not sell, market or promote tobacco products. All tobacco industry promotions, advertising, marketing and distribution are prohibited on campus properties.
- The sale of tobacco products and tobacco-related merchandise (including logo-containing items) is prohibited on all University property and at University sponsored events, regardless of the operating vendor.
- The distribution or sampling of tobacco and associated products is prohibited on all University-owned or leased property and at University-sponsored events, regardless of the venue.
- Tobacco industry and related company sponsorship of athletic events and athletes is prohibited.
- The University does not permit tobacco companies on campus to conduct student recruitment or employment activities.
- The campus provides and/or promotes health services/resources for all members of the University community.
- All Augustana University staff and students are responsible for compliance and for advising visitors of the policy.
- Cooperation and consideration are necessary to assure the successful implementation of this policy. Compliance is the responsibility of all members of the Augustana community. Faculty, administrators, staff and students are invited to respectfully inform tobacco users of this policy.
- Repeated violations of this policy may result in disciplinary action under the Code of Student Conduct, Human Resources Policies and/or or other applicable regulations or policies. Campus visitors are expected to comply with Augustana’s tobacco-free environment.