Campus Update - April 29
Augustana University is closely monitoring the evolving COVID-19 situation. As of Wednesday, April 29 here are the latest things to know:
- Local and Global Update: As of noon on Wednesday, April 29, the South Dakota Department of Health (SD-DOH) has reported 2,373 positive cases of COVID-19; 868 are active cases. Eighty-nine percent of these cases have come out of Minnehaha and Lincoln Counties with 2,122 cases. Thirteen people who have tested positive for the virus in South Dakota have died. As of Tuesday, April 28, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported 981,246 cases of COVID-19 in the U.S., with 55,258 deaths.
- The Governor says that thanks to a strong commitment and respect for the principle of personal responsibility, South Dakotans have dramatically changed the trajectory of our initial COVID-19 projections. With the state’s hospitalization capacity currently at a manageable level, individuals, employers, retail businesses, schools, health care providers and local governments are asked to consider steps outlined on South Dakota’s Coronavirus website in her “Get Back to Normal” Plan.
- The Governor’s executive order is still in place for persons in Minnehaha and Lincoln Counties who are over the age of 65 and/or have chronic medical conditions to stay home until Monday, May 11.
- A No Lingering Ordinance still exists in the City of Sioux Falls through Wednesday, May 15. The ordinance requires certain businesses to maintain fewer than 10 patrons at any given time, not including employees.
- Scenario Planning Task Force: A new Scenario Planning Task Force has convened, which is comprised of Augustana faculty and staff to help determine how to best operate in the fall semester of the 2020 academic year. The task force will be developing various scenarios of campus operations in regards to student and faculty interaction this fall. A web page with more information regarding the task force will be published by the end of the week.
- Class of 2020: Celebrating the milestone of graduation is extremely important to our entire Augustana community and the university has some new information regarding our plans.
- Special Message on Saturday, May 23: On May 23, there will be a special message shared with our AU graduates and community. More details will be posted in the coming days.
- Commencement Ceremony on Sunday, Oct. 11: Augustana plans to celebrate the graduates of 2020 during Viking Days this fall. These events will take place in the Elmen Center. The schedule includes the following and more details will be shared over the summer.
- 9 a.m. — Homecoming & Baccalaureate Worship
- 10:40 a.m. — Doors Open
- 11 a.m. — Class of 2020 Commencement and Hooding Ceremony
- Special Notes:
- More details can be found at augie.edu/commencement.