Campus Update - June 18
We want to inform you that a person connected to the Augustana community has tested positive for COVID-19. The positive test is from a student-athlete who has been participating in voluntary workouts at the Elmen Center. The Augustana athletics department began a phased reopening plan Monday, June 1, to allow student-athletes back on campus for voluntary athletic activities.
The person who tested positive for COVID-19 was at the facility only on Monday, June 15, and has not returned since that time. The individual self-reported their COVID-19 diagnosis on Wednesday, June 17, which was confirmed by the South Dakota Department of Health (SD-DOH).
Augustana has identified and contacted the students and the staff member who was in contact with the individual. We have asked each of them to self-quarantine for the 14-day period, recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Please know the Elmen Center and athletics staff have been following a number of safety protocols. The health and safety of student-athletes and staff will remain the top priority with policies that include:
- A pre-screening prior to receiving approval to use Augustana athletics facilities, which includes reviewing educational materials regarding COVID-19 protocols in place.
- Daily check-in requirements upon entry including temperature and daily symptom checks.
- Route mapping for entry and exit in and around the Augustana athletics facilities.
- Enforcement of physical distancing guidelines and requiring face masks when those guidelines are not possible (i.e., weight room spotting).
- Reporting for workouts in their own gear, leaving immediately at the conclusion of their workout and locker rooms are only accessible for personal hygiene (i.e., washing of hands and use of the restrooms).
- The completion of thorough post-session cleaning and disinfecting prior to the start of any new training sessions.
- Limited capacity in indoor venues with specific sign-up times for student-athletes.
Please continue to use the following precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Practice physical distancing
- Stay home if you are ill
- Cover your cough and sneezes
- Wash your hands often (for at least 20 seconds) and use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe
Again, the health, safety and well-being of our campus community is of the utmost concern to Augustana. We recognize you may have a number of questions. Please reference the coronavirus website or contact one of the following departments should you need any help.