Campus Update - May 29
Augustana University is closely monitoring the evolving COVID-19 situation. As of Friday, May 29, here are the latest things to know:
- Local and Global Update: As of noon on Friday, May 29, the South Dakota Department of Health (SD-DOH) has confirmed 4,866 positive cases of COVID-19 and 59 deaths. There are 1,063 active cases in the state, including 95 current hospitalizations. A total of 3,744 people have recovered from the virus in the state. As of Thursday, May 28, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported 1,698,523 positive cases of the novel coronavirus and 100,446 deaths. Thirty-one states have reported more than 10,000 cases, which does not include South Dakota.
- The city has a Sioux Falls COVID-19 Dashboard that provides information and resources about the coronavirus testing, case data and the response in Lincoln and Minnehaha Counties. Other updates about City of Sioux Falls services and operations are available at siouxfalls.org/covid19.
- On Tuesday, May 26, the Sioux Falls City Council voted to repeal the "No Mingling" Ordinance, which provides restrictions for businesses to help slow the spread of COVID-19 in the region. The ordinance expires today, May 29. The council also adopted a resolution to urge residents to continue to be mindful of the risk to the community, which includes using good hygiene practices of wearing masks in public and covering your cough and sneezes, washing your hands, and adhering to the CDC's physical distancing guidelines.
- Scenario Planning Task Force: On Monday, May 18, Augustana announced its Viking Flex Plan for Fall Semester 2020, with classes set to begin on campus on Wednesday, August 26. The university plans to proceed with a hybrid/flexible approach, which will include both face-to-face and virtual components to most courses, and reflects a commitment to in-person curricular and co-curricular experiences for the university’s students.
- In order to operationalize the Viking Flex Plan, the Scenario Planning Task Force announced the formation of an Academics Working Group and Operations Working Group. The first will focus on the classroom experience, pedagogical aspects of the hybrid/flexible instructional model, scheduling, and related topics. The second will focus on health and safety protocols, housing, dining, athletics and numerous other elements of the co-curricular experience at Augustana.
- The groups expect to make regular communications to the campus community over the next several weeks, and to post answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the Viking Flex Plan at augie.edu/vikingflex soon.
- CARES Act Student Emergency Aid: The CARES Act funding covers expenses related to the disruption of normal institutional operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Students must submit an Augustana CARES Act Emergency Aid Application within the student portal. Augustana will continue to review applications through Monday, June 1.
- Funds will be allocated as applications are received and/or until all available resources have been exhausted.
- The application link will be in your “Checklist” if you are eligible to apply. The application will reopen if funds remain.
- For additional information and answers to Frequently Asked Questions, please visit augie.edu/cares. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid or the Business Office if you have questions.
- Class of 2020: On Saturday, May 23, Augustana published a video recognition of our 2020 graduates with a message from President Stephanie Herseth Sandlin. This included a scrolling list of the names of our graduates. Watch the video and find commencement-related information at augie.edu/commencement.
- View notes from the Augustana community to the Class of 2020.
- Stay Connected: Read Augustana’s latest COVID-19 related articles at augie.edu/news and Augustana in the news at augie.edu/inthenews.
- Your Money Matters: Changing Trends of Fall College Enrollment
- Pandemic Pivot: Augustana Makes Personal Connections, Shows Flexibility in Admissions Approach
- Augustana's recording studio, Studio 47, continues to release new episodes of its podcast “Alone Together: Conversations Amid COVID-19." Here are the most recent episodes, released every Monday and Friday: