Daily Campus Update — April 2
Augustana University is closely monitoring the evolving COVID-19 situation. As of Thursday, April 2, here are the latest things to know:
- Change to Daily Updates: Augustana will adjust the frequency of the emailed updates to reflect the operational changes that have been implemented on campus regarding remote courses and work. We will provide updates to the AU community every Monday, Wednesday and Friday with the exception of the next two weeks in relation to the Easter holiday. These updates will go out on Monday, April 6, and Thursday, April 9, as well as Tuesday, April 14, and Friday, April 17. (AU will be closed on Good Friday, April 10, and Easter Monday, April 13, as we observe the Easter holiday.) Please know that the Unified Command Team will continue to meet daily and the Risk Assessment Team will meet weekly to closely monitor the evolving situation related to the spread of COVID-19.
- Global and Local Outlook: As of Thursday, April 2, the South Dakota Department of Health (SD-DOH) has reported 165 cases of COVID-19 with 36 new cases in the state. Minnehaha County reported 14 new cases, for a total of 54. Six new cases have been reported in Lincoln County, which stands at 17. Out of these 71 cases, 13 people have recovered. Both counties are considered to have substantial community spread. Nationally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported a total of 213,144 cases of COVID-19 and 4,513 deaths, including two in South Dakota.
- Counseling Services: The university understands the stress and anxiety that our campus community may be facing. If you are feeling overwhelmed we encourage students, faculty and staff to utilize these resources.
- For Students: Augustana Counseling Services is associated with Sioux Falls Psychological Services. Counseling Services are located in the lower level of the Sioux Falls Seminary across the street from the Mikkelsen Library. Telemental health sessions are available for students not on campus. To schedule an appointment (in-person or telemental health sessions), please call 605.334.2696. Review our building hours.
- For Faculty and Staff: Augustana University employees and their families can utilize free, confidential online and face-to-face counseling sessions (3 per year) through AETNA. Please call 1.855.283.1915 or visit mylifevalues.com (Login username and password is RESOURCES).
- Resources: The following campus resources are available to faculty, staff and students who may need assistance or who wish to speak with someone:
- Business Office — 605.274.5239
- Campus Clinic — 605.274.5552
- Campus Ministry — 605.274.5403
- Campus Safety — 605.274.4014
- Center for Campus Life — 605.274.5215
- Counseling Services — 605.334.2696
- Dean of Students Office — 605.274.4124
- Financial Aid — 605.274.5216
- Information Technology (IT Help Desk) — 605.274.5331
- International Programs Office — 605.274.5050
- Library Services — 605.274.4921
- Registrar — 605.274.4121
- Student Success Center — 605.274.4127
- Writing Center — 605.274.5441
- More Resources: In an effort to help people struggling financially due to the COVID-19 pandemic, local businessman and philanthropist T. Denny Sanford has pledged $1 million to the One Sioux Falls Fund and the Sioux Falls City Council will be considering contributing to the fund, as well. If you live in the Sioux Falls area, please consider looking to the One Sioux Falls Fund for assistance, coordinated by the Helpline Center.
Should you have any questions regarding the coronavirus or need to update the risk-assessment team on campus-related matters or events, please send a message to email@example.com. Please continue to check for updates and more information on the Augustana coronavirus webpage at augie.edu/coronavirus.