Daily Campus Update — April 3
Augustana University is closely monitoring the evolving COVID-19 situation. As of Friday, April 3, here are the latest things to know:
- Global and Local Outlook: As of Friday, April 3, the South Dakota Department of Health (SD-DOH) has reported 187 cases of COVID-19 with 22 new cases in the state. Fourteen new cases have been reported in Minnehaha County, for a total of 68. Two new cases have been reported in Lincoln County, which stands at 19. Out of these 87 cases, 17 people have recovered. Both counties are considered to have substantial community spread. Nationally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported more than 239,000 cases of COVID-19 and 5,443 deaths.
- Town Hall Meetings: President Stephanie Herseth Sandlin will be inviting administrators, faculty, support staff and coaching staff to participate in virtual town hall meetings on Thursday, April 9. These meetings are an opportunity to be together, ask questions and share concerns related to the pandemic and its impact on Augustana. Please check your email for more details regarding the time for each group and how to connect via Zoom.
- Financial Implications and Dining Services: The Financial Aid and Business Offices continue to work through financial adjustments for each student’s aid package and bill. The Director of Campus Life has outlined specific scenarios for students regarding Spring 2020 meal plans to help them better understand individual rebate eligibility. Read the full message.
- Any off-campus student who relies on their meal plan as a primary means for food security and would like to retain access needs to contact Corey Kopp to request an exception.
- The Business Office is available to answer questions specific to each student’s account via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 605.274.5239.
- Updated Building Hours and Services: Faculty and staff, as well as students who have been approved to live on campus, will find information regarding hours and access for a number of locations on campus that are still staffed and available for use at augie.edu/hours. Please be aware that these times and locations are subject to change and will be reviewed daily as university services evolve in the coming weeks.
- The Augustana Bookstore will be closed until further notice. The bookstore will continue to accept orders online for delivery with free shipping, though you may experience longer shipping times than usual. Any purchases returned via shipment to the store will be processed when it reopens. The bookstore is also offering free access to eTextbooks in partnership with VitalSource for the remainder of the spring semester.
- The Elmen Center will be open each weekday from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. The weight room will be open each weekday from 12-2 p.m. The pool remains closed. The Elmen Center is closed on the weekends and over Easter Break on Friday, April 10, through Monday, April 13. Swipe your Augie ID on the east main doors and parking lot door. The facility will only be accessible to faculty and staff as well as students who have been approved to live in on-campus student housing. Family members and friends are not allowed to use the facility.
- Human Resources hiring hold: Augustana is making adjustments to all hiring processes. As a result, there is a temporary hold on the positions listed on our website. We will pause for 30 days upon which we will re-evaluate and determine if the process will be delayed further. Application materials will continue to be accepted during this time, and AU will keep applicants informed on the status as the weeks unfold.
Should you have any questions regarding the coronavirus or need to update the risk-assessment team on campus-related matters or events, please send a message to email@example.com. Please continue to check for updates and more information on the Augustana coronavirus webpage at augie.edu/coronavirus.