Daily Campus Update — March 23
Augustana University is closely monitoring the evolving COVID-19 situation. As of Monday, March 23, here are the latest things to know:
- Global and Local Outlook: While there have been no reported cases on Augustana’s campus, as of today the South Dakota Department of Health (SD-DOH) has reported 28 known cases of COVID-19. The Governor has signed an executive order that provides guidelines for the entire state. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicates the United States nationally is in the initiation phase of the pandemic. States in which community spread is occurring are in the acceleration phase and increased social distancing measures are being stressed to the entire U.S. population. Globally, measures continue to be enacted to prevent further transmission. The International Olympic Committee announced today that the 2020 Tokyo Olympics has been postponed.
- Financial Implications for Students: There have been many questions related to the various financial implications for students such as room and board, and Augustana continues to work through this complex issue. Our teams have been taking part in webinars and communicating with colleagues within our national organizations and at other colleges and universities trying to determine next steps. We will communicate more as this week unfolds. We thank you for your trust and patience.
- Campus Services: Dean of Students Mark Blackburn sent a message to students on Friday, March 20 regarding available services and how best to access them such as tutoring, advising and counseling.
- Web Resources: New web pages have been created on the Coronavirus website with specific information for students, faculty and staff. You can also find links to these pages by visiting augie.edu/faq. As this continues to be a rapidly evolving situation, please know that information will be updated every day and the campus community should check these pages regularly. If you have items you would like to submit for consideration, please email email@example.com.
- Updated Building Hours and Services: Faculty and staff, as well as students who have been approved to live on campus, will find information regarding hours and access for a number of locations on campus that are still staffed and available for use at augie.edu/hours. Please be aware that these times and locations are subject to change and will be reviewed daily as university services evolve in the coming weeks.
- The Augustana Bookstore will be temporarily closed beginning Tuesday, March 24, thru Monday, April 6. The bookstore will continue to accept orders online for delivery with free shipping, though you may experience longer shipping times than usual. Any purchases returned via shipment to the store will be processed when it reopens. The bookstore is also offering free access to eTextbooks in partnership with VitalSource for the remainder of the spring semester.
- Online Tutoring: Students can now schedule and arrange virtual conversations at augie.edu/tutoring. Augustana is using a vendor, WCOnline, to provide this service. Faculty may use a guest login to access the system. Please contact Jay Kahl for more details. Students can also take advantage of walk-in Zoom meetings with Success Center tutors.
Should you have any questions regarding the coronavirus or need to update the risk-assessment team on campus-related matters or events, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please continue to check for updates and more information on the Augustana coronavirus webpage at augie.edu/coronavirus.