Daily Campus Update — April 1
Augustana University is closely monitoring the evolving COVID-19 situation. As of Wednesday, April 1, here are the latest things to know:
- Global and Local Outlook: As of Wednesday, April 1, the South Dakota Department of Health (SD-DOH) has reported 129 cases of COVID-19, with nine new cases in Minnehaha County, for a total of 40, and six new cases in Lincoln County, which stands at 11. Out of these 51 cases, 12 people have recovered. While public parks and trails remain open, the City of Sioux Falls has closed all athletic fields to organized activities and social gatherings, dog parks, skate parks, park shelters, playground equipment, as well as park restrooms and drinking fountains. A law, passed by the state legislature and signed by the governor on March 31, postpones elections scheduled from April 14 through May 26 to any Tuesday in June, which includes the combined Sioux Falls/School Board Election scheduled for Tuesday, April 14.
- Updated Building Hours and Services: Faculty and staff, as well as students who have been approved to remain on campus will find information regarding adjusted hours and access for a number of locations on campus that are still staffed and available for use at augie.edu/hours.
- In cooperation with the City of Sioux Falls and to assist with physical distancing, all outdoor Augustana athletic facilities are closed until further notice. This includes athletic fields (soccer, track, baseball, softball and football). This does not include the Elmen Center — please refer to their hours of service.
- Grading Options: Students have the option of declaring one or more of their courses as Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grades. The Spring 2020 S/U grading policy is intended to help both students and faculty by easing the burden of transitioning to modified instruction. More information regarding the process of declaring the S/U is outlined at augie.edu/satisfactory. While we would like you to wait to declare your SU grading options, you may check out what the declaration site looks like on my.augie.edu (under the Academics tab; see the portlet on the top right). The deadline for indicating that courses students want to designate S/U is Monday, April 20. (Note: Students may elect NOT to take any courses graded S/U.)
- Financial Implications for Students: As a reminder, CFO and Executive Vice President Shannan Nelson sent a message on March 26 to students and parents outlining the details related to housing, dining and parking rebates. By April 9, each student will be able to see the rebate applied to their account through the student portal, and each student will have the option to a) request a refund, or b) apply the rebate as a credit to your account for next semester. Read the full message.
- Counseling Services: The university understands the stress and anxiety that our campus community may be facing. If you are feeling overwhelmed we encourage students, faculty and staff to utilize these resources.
- For Students: Augustana Counseling Services is associated with Sioux Falls Psychological Services. Counseling Services are located in the lower level of the Sioux Falls Seminary across the street from the Mikkelsen Library. Telemental health sessions are available for students not on campus. To schedule an appointment (in-person or telemental health sessions), please call 605.334.2696. Review our building hours.
- For Faculty and Staff: Augustana University employees and their families can utilize free, confidential online and face-to-face counseling sessions (3 per year) through AETNA. Please call 1.855.283.1915 or visit mylifevalues.com (Login username and password is RESOURCES).
- Resources: The following campus resources are available to faculty, staff and students who may need assistance or who wish to speak with someone:
- Business Office — 605.274.5239
- Campus Clinic — 605.274.5552
- Campus Ministry — 605.274.5403
- Campus Safety — 605.274.4014
- Center for Campus Life — 605.274.5215
- Counseling Services — 605.334.2696
- Dean of Students Office — 605.274.4124
- Financial Aid — 605.274.5216
- Information Technology (IT Help Desk) — 605.274.5331
- International Programs Office — 605.274.5050
- Library Services — 605.274.4921
- Registrar — 605.274.4121
- Student Success Center — 605.274.4127
- Writing Center — 605.274.5441
Should you have any questions regarding the coronavirus or need to update the risk-assessment team on campus-related matters or events, please send a message to email@example.com. Please continue to check for updates and more information on the Augustana coronavirus webpage at augie.edu/coronavirus.