Edith Mortensen Center,
2001 S. Summit Ave.
Sioux Falls, SD 57197
Cooking and Other Electrical Appliances
Food may be prepared in designated kitchens in each residence hall. Cooking in other areas is not permitted due to fire safety and pest concerns.
Electrical appliance guidelines include the following:
- Halogen lamps with 500 watt bulbs or larger are prohibited.
- Extension cords with multiple plug-ins and cords under rugs are not permitted. Overloaded outlets and household extension cords create excessive heat in wiring that poses a fire hazard
- Appliances with exposed heating elements are not permitted in residence hall rooms.
- Microwave ovens are available for student use in lobbies or kitchens of residence halls. Microwave ovens cannot be used in student rooms unless they are part of an integrated microwave/refrigerator unit that has been rented from the Housing Office.
- Space heaters are prohibited.
- Hair dryers and curling irons must be unplugged when not in use.
- Refrigerators must be unplugged during college breaks when residence halls are closed.