2019 Summer Music Camp
Augustana's Summer Music Camp is June 3-8 (Monday-Saturday), and will be led by Dr. Lisa Grevlos, director, and Dr. Christopher Unger, assistant director, along with professors from the Augustana University Department of Music.
When you join your friends (both old and ones you'll soon make) at the Augustana Summer Music Camp, you'll find the finest in musical instruction, performance opportunities and fun for six days. Make one of our Residence Halls your home for the week, enjoy dining in our Morrison Commons, swim in our pool, dance in our hallways, dabble with an instrument you've always wanted to play, learn how to shine in an audition, and make beautiful music while creating lasting memories!
Who can attend?
- Students entering grades 7-12 and 2019 high school graduates.
What will be offered?
- Large ensembles: Band, Choir, Orchestra
- Small ensembles: Percussion Ensemble, Piano (Beginning and Intermediate), Guitar (Beginning and Intermediate), Vocal Jazz, Jazz Band, Academy Brass Choir*, Woodwind Choir, Academy Opera Theatre* and String Trio Academy*
- Enrichment courses: Music Theory I, II; Music History I, II,; Music Technology I, II; Drum Major Conducting** and Jazz Improvisation**
- Private voice and instrumental lessons
*The Academy Brass Choir, Academy Opera Theatre, and String Trio Academy offerings are available for students entering 11th grade and up, or by special audition/permission.
**Two new course offerings: Drum Major Conducting and Jazz Improvisation!
Are there Augustana students involved in the camp, too?
Absolutely! We have the best students in the world at Augustana, and many of them spend this week of their summer on campus to work with our campers and the Summer Music Program. They'll serve as your counselors, mentors, and friends. In fact, it's not unusual for campers and Augie students to make life-long friendships through their experiences together at camp, and we expect that to continue!
What would my days be like at Summer Music Camp?
You will certainly stay busy! The camp is designed to keep you moving all day long, meeting new friends, rehearsing with one another, spending time with our amazing faculty, and yes, having some fun that has nothing to do with music! Our college student counselors will develop games, swimming and other recreation opportunities in addition to movies, popcorn, ice cream and more. You will not get bored; we can assure of you that.
Monday, June 3
- Noon-1:30 p.m.: Camper registration
- Noon-3 p.m.: Dorm Check-in
- 1:30-2 p.m.: Camp meeting with parents/students
- 2-4:30 p.m.: Placement auditions
- 4:30 p.m.: Camp welcome and orientation
- 5 p.m.: Dinner
- 6 p.m.: Faculty/Counselor Recital
- 7-10 p.m.: First rehearsals
- 10 p.m.: Campers to dorms
- 11 p.m.: Lights out
Tuesday - Friday, June 4-7
- 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.: Rehearsals, classes, and lessons (and lunch!)
- 5 p.m.: Dinner
- 6:30 p.m.: Recreation, programs, recitals and social activities
- 11 p.m.: Lights out
Saturday, June 8
- 8:30-11:45 a.m.: Rehearsals
- 1 p.m.: Grand Finale concert at Our Savior's Lutheran Church (909 W 33rd St.)
What does it cost to go to the Summer Music Camp?
Our camp fees are very competitive. In fact, you might have a hard time finding a summer camp in music that provides this kind of experience at our low, low rate!
- RESIDENT CAMPERS: $475 (after April 15: $525)
- COMMUTER CAMPERS: $375 (after April 15: $425)
Fees include all instruction, activities and more. Resident Campers have a full meal plan and room with option for linens. Commuter Campers have an evening meal on Monday, and noon meals Tuesday through Saturday before the final concert are included. You may purchase additional evening meals for commuter campers.
One set of two 25-minute private lessons is included. An additional set of lessons is available for $40 each, and these can be on a different instrument if you like.
Are scholarships available?
Students may compete for a limited number of $100 scholarships. To apply, students should submit a 2-3 minute solo as an audio or video file to email@example.com prior to May 20. Scholarship recipients will be notified by Friday, June 1.
Contact for Further Information
If you have any additional questions or comments concerning the Augustana University Summer Music Camp in Sioux Falls, please contact:
Dr. Lisa Grevlos, Camp Director,
Dr. Christopher Unger, Assistant Camp Director,