Connecting to the wireless network
The use of the Augustana wireless network requires web based authentication. Full access is granted to users with an Augustana email username and password. Limited access is available to guests of the university.
See our AU Secure Wireless Setup pages for details on how to connect to our wireless network.
If you are a guest on campus, connect to wireless SSID/Network Name: Augie Guest or AU Guest
Campus Wireless Information
Most Augustana University indoor spaces are wireless. All academic buildings, administrative buildings, and residence halls have robust dual band N wireless capabilities, with the exception of:
- Softball field 33rd & S. Lake Ave.
- Soccer Field 37th & S. Summit Ave
Many outdoor areas within the campus are covered by the Augustana wireless network.
If you are experiencing problems with wireless, or to request additional wireless in a building, please contact the Augustana University Helpdesk, 274-5331.
Campus and Network Policies and Information:
Providing an outstanding wireless experience to many rooms is very different from "home networking". Channel density and user saturation require a large, controller based system to provide robust network connectivity. These systems (from all vendors) vary greatly from the simple Home WiFi Router. Sharing and printing that are easily allowed on a Home WiFi Router are not recommended or easily configured on larger controller based networks. In order to ensure an outstanding wireless/network experience for everyone, Augustana ITS asks that you observe the following information and policies.
- Wireless Routers: Personal wireless routers will conflict with our channels and can degrade Augustana wireless for other students. Now that we have upgraded the full campus controller based wireless, we cannot allow students to connect and use personal wireless routers. Our system will effectively disable the use of personal wireless routers.
- Wireless Printers: You can not connect a printer to Augustana's wireless network. Bring a USB cable for your printer, even if your printer has wireless capabilities. Making a printer available over a wireless network opens it up for anyone to use or abuse.
- Augustana ITS asks that you disable the wireless connectivity of any wireless printers in your room. While directions will differ among different manufacturers and models, this can usually be done by opening the printer settings or clicking the wireless button on the printer and disabling it through an interface. If you experience any problems when disabling the wireless on your printer, you may ask the Computer Helpdesk for assistance.
- You should be familiar with the Higher Education Opportunity Act Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Policy and the Augustana Computer Use Policy which govern campus network and computer use by all Faculty, Staff and Students, including campus residence halls and apartments:
- Augustana ITS will make a best effort attempt to assist residence hall students with connecting various network devices to the residence hall network. Here are some examples of what will and will not work on our large scale controller based network:
- Gaming consoles and games are supported on a best effort basis. We know for sure that Call of Duty Ghosts is not likely to work on our network due to Activision's new requirement for each user to have a single, dedicated IP address to use it. We have contacted Activision, and they simply don't care. Most other Activision games work fine.
- For Device Registration, see the Residence Hall Wireless information
- Wireless printing is not supported.
- Apple TV AirPlay and Airprint are not supported due to their "Home WiFi" design.