Campus Wireless Information
Most of Augustana College's indoor spaces are wireless. All academic buildings, administrative buildings, and residence halls have robust dual band N wireless capabilities, with the exception of:
- Softball field 33rd & S. Lake Ave.
- Soccer Field 37th & S. Summit Ave
Many outdoor areas within the campus are also covered by the Augustana wireless network.
If you are experiencing problems with wireless, or to request additional wireless in a building, please contact the Augustana College Helpdesk, 274-5331.
Connecting to the wireless network
The use of the Augustana wireless network requires web based authentication. Full access is granted to users with an Augustana email username and password. Limited access is available to guests of the college.
The SSID or Network Name for use by the Augustana Community and Guests is Augie Campus. This SSID will be the name that you will see in your wireless client. You may see other network names available for specific uses or from rogue users, but Augie Campus is the only SSID you should connect to. Use your Augustana network login (the one you use for my.augie.edu, email, etc.). Select Faculty or Student from the pull down list. If you are a guest on campus, click the Guest Access button on the bottom of the screen and follow those instructions.
- Connect to wireless SSID/Network Name: Augie Campus
- You will be redirected to a login page. If not, launch a web browser and you will see this page.
- Login to the system using the same user name and password you were given for your Augustana email account and my.augie.account.
- Once authenticated, you can use the Internet.
Campus and Network Policies and Information:
Providing an outstanding wireless experience to many rooms is very different from "home networking". Channel density and user saturation require a large, controller based system to provide robust network connectivity. These systems (from all vendors) vary greatly from the simple Home WiFi Router. Sharing and printing that are easily allowed on a Home WiFi Router are not recommended or easily configured on larger controller based networks. In order to ensure an outstanding wireless/network experience for everyone, Augustana ITS asks that you observe the following information and policies.
- Wireless Routers: Personal wireless routers will conflict with our channels and can degrade Augustana wireless for other students. Now that we have upgraded the full campus controller based wireless, we cannot allow students to connect and use personal wireless routers. Our system will effectively disable the use of personal wireless routers.
- Wireless Printers: You can not connect a printer to Augustana's wireless network. Bring a USB cable for your printer, even if your printer has wireless capabilities. Making a printer available over a wireless network opens it up for anyone to use or abuse.
- Augustana ITS asks that you disable the wireless connectivity of any wireless printers in your room. While directions will differ among different manufacturers and models, this can usually be done by opening the printer settings or clicking the wireless button on the printer and disabling it through an interface. If you experience any problems when disabling the wireless on your printer, you may ask the Computer Helpdesk for assistance.
- You should be familiar with the Higher Education Opportunity Act Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Policy and the Augustana Computer Use Policy which govern campus network and computer use by all Faculty, Staff and Students, including campus residence halls and apartments:
- Augustana ITS will make a best effort attempt to assist residence hall students with connecting various network devices to the residence hall network. Here are some examples of what will and will not work on our large scale controller based network:
- Gaming consoles and games are supported on a best effort basis. We know for sure that Call of Duty Ghosts is not likely to work on our network due to Activision's new requirement for each user to have a single, dedicated IP address to use it. We have contacted Activision, and they simply don't care. Most other Activision games work fine.
- Device Registration Form for game consoles and mobile devices.
- Wireless printing is not supported.
- Apple TV AirPlay and Airprint are not supported due to their "Home WiFi" design.