The program of study for the M.A. in Sports Administration and Leadership will prepare individuals for leadership roles in a variety of sport-related professions. The combination of didactic instruction and practical experiences encourages integration and synthesis of course work into real-life applications. The integrative studies core reflects Augustana’s commitment to the liberal arts as a foundation for ethical leadership and decision-making in any profession, while the elective studies component of the program allows each individual to customize his/her program of study with course work related to personal goals and interests.
The goals for the program function as the learning outcomes that will be validated through the synthesis portfolio. Candidates seeking their M.A. in Sports Administration and Leadership must:
- demonstrate ability to apply theory(ies) of sports administration and leadership in practical experiences
- exhibit in-depth knowledge of current issues in sports administration
- understand and apply ethical/legal standards for professionals in sports administration
- demonstrate advanced skills in oral communication
- demonstrate advanced skills in written communication
- demonstrate advanced skills in critical thinking
- demonstrate advanced skills in research
A graduate paper and oral defense serve as the culminating projects for this degree. The graduate paper is a work of serious, creative scholarship and/or research which demonstrates graduate-level writing ability along with careful research. The oral defense is an opportunity for the candidate to defend the graduate paper and to validate the learning that has occurred as a result of graduate study.