The mission of the Augustana-Sanford Genetic Counseling Graduate Program (ASGCGP) is to provide an education of enduring worth that cultivates wisdom and advances patient care by developing genetic counselors into astute communicators, scholarly professionals, and engaged members of their communities.
The ASGCGP seeks to train well-rounded genetic counselors and give them a strong foundation in both genetic science and interpersonal communication skills.
Students who graduate from this program will:
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Display strong scientific and empathetic foundations.
- Demonstrate the capacity to function as genetic counselors in fast-paced real-world settings.
- Exhibit collaboration and relationship-building skills.
- Produce meaningful graduate research projects.
- Understand and appreciate the far reach of genomics (e.g., personalized medicine, business, diversity, media).