Our art program emphasizes studio work in a variety of disciplines and also provides hands-on learning opportunities to organize and curate exhibits, implement effective graphic design and work within the Sioux Falls arts community.
Our art majors gain invaluable real-life experience with internship opportunities across the United States and Europe. These internship experiences have had a significant impact on the career paths of our students and the well-being of entire communities.
- Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center (Graphic Design Intern)
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (Cloisters Museum Internship)
- Derix Glasstudios in Taunusstein, Germany (Interim Studio Course)
- Frogman’s Printmaking Workshop (Assistantships)
- Journey of Healing in the Arts at Sanford (Art Therapy Intern)
- TSP Architects (Internship in Architecture)
- Koch Hazard Architects (Internships in Architecture)
- Fresh Produce (Graphic Design Intern)
- Lemonly (Graphic Design Intern)
At the Eide/Dalrymple Gallery in the Center for Visual Arts, art majors assist with all aspects of organizing and curating exhibitions. The Carl Grupp Permanent Art Collection on campus holds over 3,000 pieces including works by past masters Pablo Picasso, Francisco Goya, Käthe Kollwitz and Henri Matisse, along with regional and national contemporary artists including Robert Aldern, James Cambronne and Carl Grupp.
In the community, graphic design students actively help nonprofit organizations and Augustana student organizations produce outstanding communications and marketing materials.