Degrees: MPA, University of South Dakota BA
Courses taught: Principles of Accounting I and II, Intermediate Accounting I and II, Auditing, Advanced Accounting, Graduate Level Accounting Topics
Business Experience: Prior to joining the faculty at Augustana University, Professor Olson worked in public and private accounting as well as academia. Professor Olson started her accounting career in public accounting working for RSM in Sioux Falls as an auditor. After leaving RSM, Professor Olson worked in private accounting serving as an Investment Accountant for the South Dakota Investment Council. After working in private accounting, Professor Olson joined the University of South Dakota School of Business faculty and taught Principles of Accounting I and II, Intermediate I, and Finance classes. She taught there for six years and then Professor Olson took a turn in her career and went back to private accounting working for POET, the largest ethanol producer in the world. She started as a Financial Reporting Accountant, and later promoted to Financial Reporting Manager, and lastly Assistant Corporate Controller. She directed the financial statement audit and all financial reporting aspects within the Company. Professor Olson holds her Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification
Interests: Professor Olson’s research interests include financial reporting topics to include equity method investments, consolidations, and variable interest entities. She also is interested in developing teaching methods to master difficult accounting concepts in the classroom. Professor Olson serves on non-profit boards and is a strong community leader in service.
Advice for business students: The opportunities with a business degree are endless! Many doors will open for you, many acquaintances you will meet, and many decisions you will make. Sioux Falls is a business hub; take advantage of all there is to see, do, and explore. Step outside of your comfort zone and establish yourself. Be willing to reach for big goals and succeed! You can do all of that here at Augustana!
Scholarly Presentations and Publications:
- Implementing the Accounting Standards Codification into the Audit Classroom, American Accounting Association Annual Meeting, Washington DC, 2018
- Making Boring Financial Reporting Disclosure Exciting, American Accounting Association Conference on Teaching and Learning, San Diego, CA, 2017
- Mastering the Cash Flow Statement, American Accounting Association Conference on Teaching and Learning in Accounting, San Diego, CA, 2017
- Olson, A. Hybertson, L., Davies, T. (2010) A Proactive Approach to Increasing College Accounting Program Enrollments: The Development Stage. The International Academy of Business and Public Administration Disciplines Conference Proceedings. 7(1), 487-492.
- Davies, T., Carpenter, J., Olson, A. (2008) Behavioral Implications of U.S. Tax Policy: Does Tax Law Influence Individual Taxpayer Behavior? International Journal of Business and Public Administration Disciplines, 5(2) 1-10.
- Olson, A., Davies, T., Carpenter, J. (2008) One Business School's Approach to Improving Accounting Program Enrollments: The Evolution Stage. The International Academy of Business and Public Administration Disciplines Conference Proceedings, 5(1) 821-822.