As an exercise science major, you will have the opportunity to cross train for a variety of graduate school and career opportunities. Your education will be enhanced through work in the lab, internships, volunteer activities and summer research. Students who complete this major are eligible to take certification exams from the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) or the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).
Students in the Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences (ESS) have five undergraduate majors from which to choose:
- Exercise Science gives students a scientific understanding of exercise and its effect on the body. Our program meets accreditation standards set by American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).
- Fitness Management can be customized to fit your interests including strength and conditioning, corporate fitness and health promotions. Combine exercise science courses with business courses to prepare for careers in a number of settings.
- Health Education is intended as a second major and prepares students for teaching. The Health Education major desiring to pursue teacher certification must also complete all requirements for the All-Grades (K-12) Education major, including student teaching.
- Physical Education prepares students for teaching kindergarten through high school (K-12) physical education. Students combine the PE curriculum with the All-Grades (K-12) education requirements gaining hands-on experience through practicum and student teaching experiences. Our program is endorsed by the South Dakota Department of Education.
- Sport Management is an interdepartmental major designed for students who are interested in the business of sport. The major combines the strengths of various departments at Augustana and includes coursework from departments of exercise and sport science as well as communication studies, business administration, and journalism.
Students can also obtain a minor in Coaching to complement their studies.
Find out more about active learning in the ESS department.