Practice what you learn.
Though our nursing department has grown recently with the conscious intention of helping to alleviate the national nursing shortage, we are still on a first-name basis with our students. Nursing students at Augustana are assigned an academic advisor right away, so you will never fade into the crowd here.
As a Nursing student you will:
- Gain experience in our advanced simulation center
- Practice in the skills laboratory with our state-of-the-art interactive mannequin
- Participate in clinical experiences every week, working in a healthcare setting such as a hospital or health clinic under the supervision of an expert faculty member
- Immerse in an interactive learning environment including case study reviews, role playing, an Academic Electronic Health Record and the iClicker® Student Response System
- Get real-world experience through summer internships in Sioux Falls and beyond
- Discover new practices through research in classroom and group settings
- Participate in a leadership practicum where students focus on the collaboration, delegation, and prioritizing skills that are essential to success in health care today
We never stop asking, “How can we approach education in new ways to enable our students to become the best nurses?”
The nursing practice is ever-evolving and teaching nursing at Augustana continues to evolve with it. Professors using evidence-based research in class to explore these new frontiers ever semester.
A five-week interdisciplinary palliative care program that puts Augustana nursing students in classes with medical, social work, pharmacy and chaplaincy students from around the region is available during the Senior year.