A psychology major can lead to many different careers. The Psychology major at Augustana sets students up for success by establishing a strong foundation in Psychology while also leaving room for students to customize the major based on their own unique interests.
Psychology Major (35 cr, 11 courses)
As a major with some flexibility, Psychology works well to support another program of study. It is also a strong stand-alone major. Students who intend to pursue careers in psychology should take 35-43 credit hours in psychology. The department advises individuals who wish to attend graduate school and receive letters of recommendation from department faculty to become involved in research projects with department faculty or gain experience in an off-campus practicum placement.
- PSYC 115 - General Psychology (3 cr)
- PSYC 270 & PSYC 271 - Statistics & Research Methods in Psychology (8 cr)
- PSYC 400 - Senior Seminar (3 cr)
Selectives and Electives:
- Complete at least 3 core psychology courses (Life-span Human Development; Abnormal Psychology or Counseling & Psychotherapy; Cognitive Psychology, Social Psychology, Behavioral Neuroscience)
- Complete at least 4 elective psychology courses
Psychology Minor and Related Interdisciplinary Minors
Psychology Minor (19 cr, 6 courses)
- PSYC 115 - General Psychology
- PSYC 270 - Statistics
- Complete at least 2 core psychology courses
- Complete at least 2 elective psychology courses
Children and Youth minor (19 cr, 6 courses)
Aging Studies minor (18 cr, 6-8 courses)
Course descriptions and more information about these minors are available in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Whether Psychology is your only major, or one of your majors, every student majoring in Psychology is assigned a faculty advisor within the department. Your advisor will work closely with you to help you choose the specific courses that meet your individual needs, keep you on track and on task in fulfilling the General education requirements, and with graduate school plans, and career choices and your future aspirations.
- Advising Sheet for current students (post SP 2020)