The Augustana General Education Plan requires students to develop competencies in several skill areas that the faculty feel are crucial to students' success in life. If, however, a student has already acquired a high level of competence in one or more of these skill areas, they may want to demonstrate their ability through one of the valuable test-out opportunities listed below.
Departmental Test-Out Opportunities
Test preparation is strongly recommended. The cost of departmental exams is $100. If the test is passed, there is not a fee for adding the course to the examinee’s Augustana transcript. Test outs can be repeated one time only and will be given six months after the previous exam date. Departmental test outs except for the ASL exams are administered through the Student Success Center and test-out payments are made at the Business Office. Upon successful completion of the exam, the student receives credit for the course. If a student is not successful on the first attempt, they may retest one more time six months after the initial exam. The $100 fee is required for any repeated tests. Augustana reserves the right to make changes in the test-out offerings without notice.
- English 110 First Year Composition (W): In the typical composition course at Augustana, 80% of the final grade is based on good expository writing and the remaining 20% is on grammar review. These are also the requirements for the English department test out. The 2-part test consists of a grammar review, as well as an essay. For more information, please read the English 110 Test-Out Guidelines. The English department also accepts one CLEP exam to satisfy the ENGL 110 course. The CLEP exam is College Composition and the minimum score for credit is 54.
- At this time, there are no departmental mathematics test outs available. However, Augustana does accept these CLEP mathematics exams.
- Philosophy 120 Critical Thinking: "With Good Reason" by Engel is on reserve at the library for test preparation. This text contains examples of the questions that will be on the exam, however, the test is not based on this book. The 90-minute test is made up of 50 multiple choice questions. Test preparation is recommended.
- Communications 110 Introduction to Communication: It is strongly recommended that students read the entire text before taking the test. "Communication 110" textbooks are on reserve in the Student Academic Support Services (SASS) section at the library front desk. A 50-question, multiple choice exam plus a conference with the chair of communication studies are the requirements for this test out. Examinees have 90 minutes to complete the 50 questions.
American Sign Language
- ASL Proficiency and Test Out: ASL proficiency is assessed by Assistant Professor of ASL Carmen Steen. Please contact Steen to arrange a time for this test-out opportunity. There is no fee associated with language assessments. A fee is incurred only when credit buy-back through course proficiency is enacted.