Augustana University is closely monitoring the evolving COVID-19 situation. As of Thursday, March 26, here are the latest things to know:
- Global and Local Outlook: As of Thursday, March 26, the South Dakota Department of Health (SD-DOH) has reported 46 (five new today) cases of COVID-19. Minnesota has reported its second virus-related death today, with 346 cases (59 new today), and has a two-week stay-at-home order beginning midnight Friday through April 10. Senator John Thune has flown home to Sioux Falls, having fallen ill in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday.
- Financial Implications for Students: CFO and Executive Vice President Shannan Nelson sent a message today to students and parents outlining the details related to housing, dining and parking rebates. Read the full message.
- Housing Update: All students who live in residence halls, apartments and theme houses must vacate on-campus housing before Tuesday, April 7. Visit the Closing Information web page for details related to completing an express checkout. For the health and safety of our community, students will only be allowed to have one other person assist them in the move.
- We are aware that there are “stay-at-home” or “shelter-in-place” orders in effect in several states. Students from these areas should refrain from coming to campus. We will be reaching out to these students to arrange when they can return to campus. In the meantime, your belongings will remain safely locked in your room awaiting your return.
- Please review the information on the Spring Semester Move-Out web page.
- Grading Policy: Academic Affairs and the faculty are currently reviewing a policy change for Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) for the Spring 2020 term. We will provide an update to the broader community on Friday, March 27.
- Amidst the uncertainty and the disruption swirling around us, there is goodness happening everywhere. In the days and weeks ahead, when you see or hear of neighbor helping neighbor, staff, faculty or students going above and beyond to help someone, small gestures of kindness that you want to share, please send them to Pamela Miller. Pam will collect stories and periodically share them in our newsletter. We all need to be reminded that even amidst a pandemic, goodness is happening all around us.
- If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, do not come to campus. Contact your healthcare provider and stay at home for the mandated isolation period. For the safety of the university community, we strongly encourage prompt notification of the following:
Should you have any questions regarding the coronavirus or need to update the risk-assessment team on campus-related matters or events, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please continue to check for updates and more information on the Augustana coronavirus webpage at augie.edu/coronavirus.