Because theatre is, in part, a study of the world we live in, our students are encouraged to explore Augustana’s study abroad opportunities and other off-campus study programs. The length of study can range from a month to a semester to an academic year.
In addition, our students regularly travel to theater centers and festivals around the country, including the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival and the United States Institute for Theatre Technology. Faculty routinely lead international trips during the January interim term.
Sioux Falls itself is a major cultural center for South Dakota, and we have strong relationships with area theaters like the Black Hills Playhouse and the Bare Bodkins Theatre. The Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science downtown draws national touring productions from Broadway and has an active educational exchange with Augustana. Students have also participated as interns or company members with:
- The Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, Minn.
- The Black Hills Playhouse, South Dakota
- Bare Bodkins Theatre, Sioux Falls
- Dakota Players, South Dakota
- Dakota Academy of Performing Arts (DAPA), Sioux Falls
- Sioux Empire Community Theatre, Sioux Falls
- Good Night Theatre Collective, Sioux Falls
- Monstrous Little Theatre, Sioux Falls
- The Worthing Dinner Theatre, Worthing, SD
- The Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science, Sioux Falls
- The Mighty Corson Art Players, Corson, SD
- The South Dakota Symphony Orchestra