Employees whose work activities are substantially involved in the administration of the University, other than teaching, shall be designated as administrators by the President of the University.
ABOUT AUGUSTANA UNIVERSITY:
Founded in 1860, Augustana is a selective, residential university affiliated with the Lutheran Church. With 53 majors, 41 minors and 15 pre-professional programs for undergraduates, along with graduate degree and continuing education programs, the University is committed to enriching lives and fostering development by combining a foundation in the liberal arts with professional skill and advanced study.
With more than 1,800 students from 30 states and 38 countries around the globe, Augustana has been ranked among the top baccalaureate institutions in the nation for our efforts to advance social mobility, research and service by Washington Monthly. We are pleased to be featured among "America's Top Colleges" by Forbes and to be named a "Best Midwestern College" by the Princeton Review and a "Best Buy" by U.S. News & World Report.
We are proud to say that the average ACT of our entering class is 26, one of the highest averages of any college or university in the region. Nearly 90 percent of our students come from South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska. Eleven percent are alumni legacies.
In September 2015 — 155 years after our founding — Augustana College became Augustana University, an illustration of our growing number of programs and centers for undergraduate and graduate students and in recognition of the physical growth happening on campus.
Augustana University is located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. With a metro population of nearly 250,000, Sioux Falls is a growing, vibrant, and diverse city that is home to major health care centers, Fortune 500 business, national retailers, spirited entrepreneurs, and dynamic options for arts and entertainment. Sioux Falls has been named the "Best Small City for Business and Careers" by Forbes and ranked one of the "Best Places to Live by CNN.
Augustana University is currently accepting applications for the following position:
The assistant director serves as a member of the Campus Life team, providing leadership and support to a dedicated, creative, and dynamic staff with responsibility for leading a comprehensive student life program. The assistant director provides support and supervision to students, participates in social and educational program development, supports the University’s mission, and collaborates with other departments and divisions to provide excellent service. This is a 12-month, full-time, live-in position.
Position reports to an Associate Director of Campus Life.
- Direct supervision of a staff of undergraduate students. Some positions may include supervision of graduate assistant.
Residence Hall Administration and Management
- Responsible for managing a co-ed residence hall of 200 to 300 students;
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate a student staff;
- Provide direction to student staff in the development and implementation of programming designed to foster academic success, career exploration, wellness, diversity, community service, community building and development, and leadership development;
- Be visible and available to students and staff;
- Serve as a conduct officer for incidents that occur in university housing facilities;
- Responsible for programming and budget management;
- Maintain office hours for residence hall and Campus Life offices;
- Serve as a source of support and intervention for students experiencing personal and interpersonal difficulties;
- Assess student needs and make referrals to appropriate offices and services.
- Serve in an on-call rotation for the larger residential education program.
- Assist and support Campus Life staff in achieving goals of the department;
- Represent the Center for Campus Life at university functions, programs, activities, and events.
- Oversight for, or support of, additional areas of responsibility that may include student staff selection, training, and development, first or second-year program initiatives, programming model implementation, off-campus program development, or summer housing, camps, and conferences.
- Program assessment;
- Manage online and social media resources that inform and promote understanding of residential education programs;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree preferred with a record of experience working with college students in a residential setting.
- Successful candidates will possess a theoretical and practical knowledge of student development, its application within a residential environment, and a demonstrated ability to encourage and support diversity and inclusion.
- The successful candidate will also possess the following:
- Ability to articulate the value of a residential experience to students, staff, faculty, and parents;
- Ability to create conditions that are accepting of differences regardless of gender, race, religion, abilities, class, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and political affiliation;
- Experience with crisis intervention and conflict management;
- Practical knowledge of program evaluation and assessment of learning outcomes;
- Ability to effectively communicate using oral, written, and electronic communication.
Competitive salary and benefits, including University-owned housing and paid utilities, as well as a meal plan during the academic year.
Preferred start in early summer 2016.
To apply, provide a cover letter, resume and names and contact information for three current references. Please forward this information electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Positions will remain open until filled.
The University will be interviewing candidates at The Placement Exchange, March 9-12 in Indianapolis, IN. Candidates who will be attending TPE are encouraged to include their candidate number with their cover letter.
Email submissions are preferred.
2001 S Summit Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57197
Augustana University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action/Title IX Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. Applicants must comply with the Immigration Reform and Control Act and may be required to submit official transcripts upon employment.