Employees whose work activities are substantially involved in the administration of the University, other than teaching, shall be designated as administrators by the President of the University.
Position Type: Full-Time
Department: Student Affairs
Augustana University invites applications for the position of Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. This appointment is a full-time twelve-month position that reports to the Dean of Students.
The Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will lead the implementation of the university's diversity and inclusion strategic plan and ensure alignment with the university's overall strategic direction, provide guidance, support, and engage faculty, students, and staff on how to build, sustain, and strengthen a teaching and learning community that values social justice, diversity, integration, and cultural humility. The position engages Augustana students, faculty, and staff on topics related to diversity to provide an education of enduring worth that challenges the intellect, fosters integrity and integrates faith with learning and service in a diverse world. The Director will develop integrative partnerships with academic and administrative units, co-curricular departments, student engagement and leadership, and related community organizations, to coordinate and expand institutional educational and awareness programs and support.
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university in Student Affairs, higher education administration, counseling, or other related field is required, master's degree preferred. Five years of experience in higher education or corporate sector is preferred along with diversity and inclusion in student or academic affairs administration. It is necessary for the individual to have four years of professional experience working with diversity/inclusion programming, cultural or identity-based student organization advising, equal opportunity, and directly related experience; demonstrated track record working on diversity and inclusion in organizations; preferably organizations with a global/distributed reach.
Review of applications will begin October 12, 2018. Send a letter of interest to Deanna Versteeg, Vice President for Human Resources, describing qualifications for the position, resume, a completed Augustana University employment application, and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three references electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Augustana values diversity and inclusivity, and it is essential aspects of the culture and ethos of the University. Please share how you envision embracing and advancing these ideas.
Augustana University invites application for the position of a full-time Career and Academic Planning Specialist (CAP).
Under the direction of the Executive Director of the Student Success Center and in ongoing collaboration with faculty, CAP Specialists empower students to achieve their academic and career goals. From the point of entry to graduation and beyond, the successful candidate designs services that maximize students’ acclimation to college, participation in applied learning, persistence to graduation, and career outcomes as alumni. CAP Specialists work within the hours of operation of the Success Center (i.e., 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday). Occasionally throughout the academic year, Specialists host events during the evening or participate in recruitment events during weekends.
The CAP Specialist is responsible for providing comprehensive support for students enrolled in the following programs: Math, Nursing, Physics, American Studies, Government, History, Psychology, Sociology, and Pre-law
- Engage in active outreach to organizations that offer experiential learning and employment opportunities for students enrolled in the respective academic programs.
- Educate students on job and internship search strategies, including resume writing, interviewing, and networking.
- Connect students with and track students’ participation in academically relevant applied learning experiences.
- Manage aspects of on-campus recruitment related to one’s respective academic programs.
- Follow-up with graduates to track their destinations for the annual career outcomes report.
- Locate alumni panelists for one’s respective programs.
- Engage in active outreach and provide strategic support to students who experience academic difficulty.
- Support and monitor the academic progress of provisionally admitted students or individuals on academic warning or probation.
- Follow up with individuals not yet registered, students who have not yet applied for graduation, or students who need to make immediate changes to their schedule to satisfy graduation requirements.
- Pre-register incoming freshmen prior to New Student Registration. Develop and individually discuss class schedules with new students who are unable to visit campus during the summer.
- Verify and communicate necessary updates to degree audit reports to the Registrar’s Office.
- Conduct exit interviews of students who withdraw from the institution.
- Host academic planner lab to prepare first-year students to meet with their academic advisors.
In addition to these support services, the CAP Specialist will be responsible for the following:
- Manage the social media accounts of the Success Center and implement other marketing strategies that increase students’ use of office resources.
- Assign advisors and communicate changes to faculty.
- Plan the Majors & Minors Fair and Welcome Week advising sessions; coordinate academic planner labs; assess Labor Day plenaries; and assist with graduation.
- Author online educational materials and plan tailored programming to advance the success of students.
- Serve on diverse campus committees and represent the department at Admission events.
The selected candidate will possess a Master's degree, which qualifies them to instruct courses and satisfy accreditation requirements, as well as demonstrate a desire to work in a private, church-related environment. Other qualifications include:
- outstanding helping skills and cultural awareness with an ability to navigate diverse students’ needs;
- familiarity with emerging student success theories, best practices, exemplary models, and current trends;
- excellent written, public speaking, and interpersonal communication skills;
- familiarity with technology, especially Microsoft Office, application tracking systems, social media job search platforms, and retention software;
- demonstrated ability to market events, work in a team, and prioritize multiple tasks;
- self-starter with a commitment to detailed record-keeping and documentation;
- a desire to contribute to a supportive work environment where new ideas are solicited, evaluated, implemented, and assessed; and
- an ability to role model professionalism and willingness to work some nights.
Preference will be given to individuals who have worked in higher education in the past, particularly in an academic support and career services role, and earned an advanced degree in counseling, teaching, administration, or higher education. Interacting with students, faculty and leadership with different backgrounds and points of view and a deep appreciation of and respect for academic values and culture must be a top value of the selected candidate.
This position will remain open until filled. Send a letter of interest to Deanna Versteeg, Vice President for Human Resources, describing qualifications for the position, resume, a completed Augustana University employment application, and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three references electronically to email@example.com. Augustana values diversity and inclusivity, and it is essential aspects of the culture and ethos of the University. Please share how you envision embracing and advancing these ideas.
Address for sending resumes:
Email submissions are preferred.
2001 S Summit Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57197
Augustana University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Title IX Employer that seeks to recruit, develop and retain a talented and diverse workforce. Augustana University is committed to excellence through diversity and strongly encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community. Submission of official transcripts may be required upon employment. Finalist candidates must satisfactorily complete pre-employment background check.