Employees whose work activities are substantially involved in the administration of the University, other than teaching, shall be designated as administrators by the President of the University.
ABOUT AUGUSTANA UNIVERSITY:
Founded in 1860, Augustana is a selective, residential university affiliated with the Lutheran Church. With 53 majors, 41 minors and 15 pre-professional programs for undergraduates, along with graduate degree and continuing education programs, the University is committed to enriching lives and fostering development by combining a foundation in the liberal arts with professional skill and advanced study.
With more than 1,800 students from 30 states and 38 countries around the globe, Augustana has been ranked among the top baccalaureate institutions in the nation for our efforts to advance social mobility, research and service by Washington Monthly. We are pleased to be featured among "America's Top Colleges" by Forbes and to be named a "Best Midwestern College" by the Princeton Review and a "Best Buy" by U.S. News & World Report.
We are proud to say that the average ACT of our entering class is 26, one of the highest averages of any college or university in the region. Nearly 90 percent of our students come from South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska. Eleven percent are alumni legacies.
In September 2015 — 155 years after our founding — Augustana College became Augustana University, an illustration of our growing number of programs and centers for undergraduate and graduate students and in recognition of the physical growth happening on campus.
Augustana University is located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. With a metro population of nearly 250,000, Sioux Falls is a growing, vibrant, and diverse city that is home to major health care centers, Fortune 500 business, national retailers, spirited entrepreneurs, and dynamic options for arts and entertainment. Sioux Falls has been named the "Best Small City for Business and Careers" by Forbes and ranked one of the "Best Places to Live by CNN.
Augustana University is currently accepting applications for the following position:
Title: Academic Chemical Hygiene Technician/Chemistry Laboratory Instructor
Position Type: Full Time
Augustana University seeks an Academic Chemical Hygiene Technician who specializes in the safety of on campus learning environments, such as labs, classrooms, studios and the stage. This position will also have responsibilities in teaching undergraduate general chemistry laboratory classes. The employee’s time will be split between safety coordination duties and teaching labs (normally 10 contact hours per week). This position would be full-time, 12-months and will begin August 1, 2016. Duties include:
Chemical Safety Officer
• Work with all academic departments, especially those employing OSHA regulated activities including Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Nursing, Art, Theater, and Exercise and Sport Science to ensure safe working conditions. Assist in establishing and executing appropriate waste collection/disposal procedures; appropriate training for faculty, staff, and students (as employees and in classes/labs); and required record keeping.
- Develop and maintain the Departmental Chemical Hygiene Plans (CHP). Review Departmental CHP’s to make sure they are complete, up-to-date, and in line with the Campus CHP.
- Recommend, develop and deliver safety training for academic division employees.
- Monitor compliance with, and effectiveness of, existing policies and procedures and recommend improvements to workplace procedures and employee safety and awareness programs.
- Serve as a first responder to academic division incidents and investigate accidents to determine their cause, and identify preventative mechanisms.
- Practice ongoing self-education to maintain knowledge of changing regulations by attending workshops and conferences.
- Inspect machinery, facilities, laboratories and equipment to identify potential chemical, physical, biological or radiological hazards.
- Collect and analyze samples to monitor workplace occupational exposure levels.
- Compile and submit required reports to local, state, and federal agencies such as OSHA, EPA, the Department of Homeland Security, South Dakota EPA, Sioux Falls Police and Fire Departments. Serve as University liaison to these agencies.
• Teach general chemistry laboratories, including duties of grading and student assistance on laboratory reports (office hours are required).
• Provide an inclusive and excellent learning environment in the laboratory.
• Direct student laboratory assistants, who assist with in-lab duties, such as refilling reagent bottles and managing waste.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should have: a detail-oriented work ethic, to make sure everything is collected and reported accurately; creativity and possess problem-solving skills to create safe and productive work environments; negotiation skills to get all interested parties to agree on workable solutions; self-motivation to pursue continuous learning, to keep up on changing regulations and advances in safety and teaching; oral and written communication skills to not only convey findings and recommendations, but to present material to students in a positive learning environment.
Requirements of the position: A Master’s Degree in a laboratory science is preferred, with preference also given to candidates with a chemistry degree. Candidates with further education and/or certification in laboratory safety will also be given preference.
Application Procedure: Interested applicants are to complete an employment application, include a cover letter, resume and names and contact information for three current references. At the appropriate time, be prepared to provide a complete transcript of academic work completed containing date of undergraduate degree. Please forward this information electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled.
Email submissions are preferred.
2001 S Summit Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57197
Augustana University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action/Title IX Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. Applicants must comply with the Immigration Reform and Control Act and may be required to submit official transcripts upon employment.