Augustana Cultural Exchange (ACE) Ambassador Program
The Augustana Cultural Exchange (ACE) program is an exciting leadership opportunity for students interested in developing intercultural skills and establishing friendships with international students. Sponsored by the International Programs Office, the program is designed to help international students transition to the United States and to facilitate meaningful, intercultural relationships. Ambassadors play an essential role in the successful integration of new international students at Augustana.
Ambassadors in the ACE program work in groups. Leadership teams will include at least one U.S. student and one returning international student who will lead 7-8 new international students as they adjust to life at Augustana and the United States. Ambassadors assist with a 5-day orientation program — answering questions about culture, academics and resources and introducing international students to new people, places, customs, and procedures at Augustana. Ambassadors provide leadership for international programs on campus and are encouraged to join the Augustana International Club (AIC).
- To ensure international students have a smooth transition to Augustana and the United States
- To help foster friendships between U.S. students (non-Ambassadors) and international students
- To disseminate advice, help and camaraderie to new international students
- To celebrate differences and similarities across cultures
- To provide opportunities to experience local culture in Sioux Falls and the surrounding area
- Meet new students from around the world and form lasting friendships
- Develop and enhance your intercultural skills, international competency, and language ability
- Enhance your resume with an intercultural leadership position
Expectations of Ambassadors
- Attend and help lead International Student Orientation
- Regularly attend ACE events and invite group members to participate in Augustana activities
- Attend occasional IPO meetings and provide feedback
- Get involved with Augustana International Club (AIC) events
- Have fun getting to know new international friends!
"ACE has benefitted me personally by helping me make friends from all across the world. It is a way to meet others through ordinary American activities. Activities that are routine for the average American, but become alive again when participating in them with friends that are experiencing them for the first time. Through ACE I have learned about many different cultures and traditions with people while learning more about myself. It is a great program to get international students interacting with others, but it is also an opportunity for American students to learn about a greater world."
~ Krista Youngberg, Augustana Class of 2014
ACE Ambassador positions are open to returning Augustana students. Complete an application for this exciting leadership opportunity. For more information, please contact the International Programs Office at 605.274.5050, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.