Crime Prevention Tips
The Augustana College Department of Campus Safety is committed to providing safety, protection and service to students, staff, faculty and visitors.
All members of the campus community are encouraged to immediately report any suspicious or criminal activity to Campus Safety, 605.274.4014. Upon receipt of a call, the dispatcher will gather preliminary information and send a Campus Safety Officer to the location of the incident. The responding officer will investigate the complaint or concern and, if appropriate, complete an incident report. Reported violations of federal or state laws, city ordinances, and college policies are documented in reports maintained by the Department of Campus Safety.
The College requests that the Sioux Falls Police Department patrol the campus and it is not uncommon for police department personnel to be seen frequently on college-owned property.
The Augustana College Department of Campus Safety would rather prevent crime or injury than react to it after the fact. For that reason Campus Safety, in cooperation with the Dean of Students Office, Residence Life and other college departments, administer a number of programs designed to encourage students and staff to be responsible for their own safety.
Members of the campus community are asked to notify Campus Safety, 605.274.4014, if they notice any unlocked or propped doors that should be secured. Residence halls are locked 24 hours a day, year-round. Key card access is required to gain access to a residence hall. Visitors may gain access by calling residents on phones located outside or in the entry of each residence hall. Campus Safety officers routinely check residence halls to insure they remain closed and locked. Other college facilities are checked and locked/unlocked at predetermined times.
- Walk or jog in groups of three or more.
- Avoid isolated or dark areas.
- Travel with confidence and purpose.
- Do not wear earphones while walking or jogging.
- Know the locations of emergency phones.
- Stay alert, and plan ahead for "What if...?"
- Know your neighbors or coworkers; you are the best one to determine who does not belong.
- Do not prop open exterior doors.
- If you come in through an electronic key card access door, do not allow strangers to enter with you on your code. They should have their own access card.
- Always lock your door when you leave.
- Lock your door while you sleep or when you work late.
- Get involved. If you see somone you consider suspicious or out of place, CALL CAMPUS SAFETY IMMEDIATELY.
Protect your Property
- Keep you car locked. Store items of value in the trunk out of view.
- Coats, backpacks, and purses should remain with you or be locked up.
- Mark and record your belongings.
- If you have a bicycle on campus, document all information about the bike make sure it is secure before leaving it.
Lighting, Shrubbery and Trees
The College has maintained a program of adding exterior lighting to minimize dark areas used by pedestrians on the campus. All facilities on the campus are accessible by sidewalk routes that are well lit. Individuals are cautioned to avoid dark places that may be the shortest distance between two buildings. Stay on lighted sidewalks and walk with another person that you know! Landscaping is trimmed on a regular basis. Maintenance and Campus Safety personnel routinely inspect the campus for potential areas that may be considered unsafe. Please contact the Department of Campus Safety, 605.274.4014, to report broken lights or landscaping that may need to be trimmed.