Selecting a Major or Career
Gaining information about yourself and your options is the initial task of informed decision making. The following resources will assist you in this endeavor.
Learn More About Yourself
Standardized inventories provide a snapshot of the occupations and majors that are congruent with your interests, skills and values. This narrows the numbers of prospects for you to research and makes the process more manageable, instead of overwhelming. Although assessments are not designed to select your career for you, the results will also help you identify options you may not have previously considered. FOCUS 2 is available to help you better understand your interests, personality, values and skills. Contact the Student Success Center to learn more about other free assessments available only to Augustana students.
If you are looking for initial activities to complete independently, consider the following self-directed assessments. These resources are especially effective when they are coupled with conversations with Success Center staff and your academic advisor. In addition to Success Center events, Campus Ministries also hosts a variety of events and provides individual support that will help facilitate your vocational discernment.
- O*Net Work Importance Profiler
- O*Net Interest Profiler Short Form
- Life Values Inventory
- South Dakota Career Interest Survey
- Career One Stop Skills Profiler
- Can my Gallup Strengths reveal if I am in the right career?
Learn More about Majors
- Review the Course Catalog. Examine Augustana’s academic programs, degree requirements and courses within each major.
- Browse the websites of our academic departments. View faculty bios, alumni profiles and upcoming events.
- Speak with your academic advisor or the academic department to learn more about the roadmap for your program. Explore the possibility of multiple majors by using Augustana's Academic Planner (portal login required).
- Identify popular occupations for your major. View "What Can I do With this Major?" or complete "What Can I Do With a Major In . . ." in FOCUS 2 to learn more about the careers often associated with your academic program.
- Speak with Augustana faculty or current students in the program. Not sure who to speak with? Success Center staff can facilitate these introductions.
Learn More about Careers
- Research the activities, training requirements and labor market forecasts for your field. Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- Read about the activities, attributes, and average pay of occupations. O*Net.
- Conduct a mock job search using a commercial website, such as Indeed.com, to better understand preferred qualifications and opportunities in your preferred geographical area.
- Research license, certification and training requirements of all occupations through the Career One Stop. (This is especially helpful if you want to identify the occupations that require a specific major.)
- Hear from people in the occupations you are considering. Browse the profiles published on A Day In the Life (Princeton Review), Career Videos (Career One Stop), Learn how to Become, JobShadow.com, Careers Out There, City Town Info, The Career Project, Road Trip Nation and Degree Story.
- Browse the publication of commercial organizations or professional associations. For example, Explore Healthcare Careers is a popular resource.
- Speak with or shadow professionals in the fields you are considering. Our alumni are eager to share their experiences and help you. Contact us to learn more or connect with Augustana alumni on LinkedIn.
Confirm Your Decision
Test reality by gaining experience and immersing yourself in the world of work. It only takes a single incident to change the trajectory of your career. Create your own luck by seeking these opportunities and connections today! Learn more about hands-on learning and internships.