Master of Science in Athletic Training
Master of Science degree in Athletic Training.
Athletic Training and Sports Medicine is the care and prevention of injuries for a wide variety of physically active patients. At Augustana University, this care is placed at the very center of the program. Athletic Training students' coursework is mixed with clinical education experiences from the very beginning.
Whether it is covering practice with the Augustana Football team, or being in the operating room with team physician Dr. Kristofer Kimber while he performs an ACL reconstruction, or being on the sidelines in Texas as the basketball team wins a national championship, students in the Athletic Training Program put their education to use every day so that when they graduate. They have great stories to tell potential employers.
Advanced Tracks for Master of Science in Athletic Training
Earn two degrees — your Bachelor of Arts and your Master's of Science in Athletic Training — in just five years. Combine and save.
Health care is a team approach with emphases in providing the patient with the best treatment options specific to them. At Augustana, we take that team approach with individual options into the education of sports medicine professionals, as well.
One of the options that students have is to create an individualized education plan that allows them to receive both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in five years, saving time and money. Students work with the faculty to create a plan that includes an undergraduate major of their choosing while they prepare for entry into the MSAT program at the end of their sophomore year. At the end of their senior year they graduate with their bachelor’s degree and then their master’s degree the following year. Some students also combine this with pre-physical therapy and either apply to physical therapy school after four years with significant clinical experiences and graduate sports medicine coursework already on their resumes — or complete the program and apply at the end of five years, already a licensed health care professional.
- Two degrees in five years: First-year undergraduates can choose to enroll as an advanced track bachelor’s/master’s student and will be accepted into the Athletic Training master’s program at the start of their second year. At the end of five years, they will hold a bachelor’s degree and a master’s of science degree and be eligible to sit for the Board of Certification for the Athletic Trainer (BOC-AT) Exam.
- Pre-physical therapy: Students who wish to pursue a career in physical therapy can choose the Athletic Training program to build hands-on clinical experience and earn graduate credit in the evaluation and treatment of orthopedic conditions as an undergraduate. Pre-physical therapy track students can choose to:
- Apply to a physical therapy program after their fourth year, citing their clinical experience and graduate coursework as competitive advantages for admission.
- Stay for five years, earning both a bachelor’s degree and a master’s of science degree, and sit for the BOC-AT Exam. From there, these students may apply to a physical therapy program as a licensed health care professional.
- Master’s degree only: This two-year program is designed for students who already hold a bachelor’s degree. Following completion, students will hold a master’s of science degree in Athletic Training and be eligible to sit for the BOC-AT Exam.
Clinical Experiences — Sanford and Sioux Falls
Students have exceptional access to a wide number and variety of hands-on clinical experiences due to AU's partnership with the Sanford Orthopedics and Sports Medicine network. All students get clinical experiences in high school, collegiate, orthopedic, rehabilitation, and family practice as part of a well-rounded clinical education plan.
However, the real value is in the student’s ability to gain additional experiences based on his or her career plans. Our clinical preceptors serve as medical personnel for the majority of sporting events in the region. Whether it is special events at the Sanford Sports Complex, or the Professional Bull Riders at the Sanford Premier Center, or research and strength training at the Sanford Sports Science Institute and Sanford Fieldhouse, or even professional sports at the Sanford Pentagon, students can get the very best in sports medicine experiences without leaving Sioux Falls.
Augustana University is currently accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE), 6850 Austin Center Blvd., Suite 100, Austin, TX 78731-3101.