Campus Ministry Opportunities
The opportunity to express, explore and expand faith is integral to a Lutheran liberal arts education. Not only do Augustana students take religion courses, but faith, ethics, and service are also addressed in other subject areas. Faculty and staff from all parts of the University deliver messages during worship in the Chapel of Reconciliation.
The campus pastors coordinate worship and student leadership and are available for counsel, encouragement, and support.The Augustana Student Congregation (South Dakota Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America) gathers regularly in the Chapel of Reconciliation. Students manage the worship and ministry of the congregation.
Opportunities for involvement include:
- Worship involvement — Students assist with daily chapel and Sunday worship as lectors, assisting ministers, ushers, communion servers, and musicians.
- Senior speakers — Each Friday’s chapel service is led by a senior student who prepares the order of worship, music and message. Seniors also speak at Sunday worship periodically.
- Chapel musicians — Musicians meet one evening each week to prepare music for Sunday’s worship.
- Outreach Ministry — Teams meet weekly for planning and travel monthly to congregations in the region to lead youth retreats and worship services.
- Service and Travel — Students have numerous opportunities to work and worship with those in need within the Sioux Falls community as well as on service trips to other parts of the United States and the world.
- Pueblo de Dios - Students serve as mentors for the youth of the Pueblo congregation meeting weekly for bible study, a meal and fun!
- Koinonia — Students considering church-related vocations (such as ordained ministry, youth ministry, church music) or further theological study gather for sharing, support, discussion and information.
- Faith Fest — Students plan and host this annual weekend event when area youth come to campus for worship, music, enrichment, and fun.
- Catholic Campus Ministry — Students host Mass, Bible study, discussions and other activities open to Catholics and those interested in learning more about the Catholic faith.
Complete the Involvement Form on Viking Central to participate in Campus Ministry.
Other Student Organizations
A number of student organizations focus on faith and service; these groups are organized by the Augustana Student Association (ASA):
- Augie Green — Advocates for care of the environment and sustainability.
- Better Together Augustana — Develops, fosters, and promotes interfaith dialogue on the campus of Augustana.
- Campus Crusade for Christ (Cru) — Engages the spiritual needs of students through weekly meetings, Bible studies, and social events.
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) — Hosts fellowship, praise and worship, Bible study and speakers.
- Serving and Learning together (SALT) — Educates and informs about volunteer opportunities and brings students together to participate actively in the Sioux Falls community.