Augustana University Archives
The Augustana University Archives serves the administrative and educational function of Augustana University, a university of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America.
Founded in 1860 in Chicago, Augustana moved several times before locating permanently in 1918 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where it was merged with Lutheran Normal School. Its college preparatory school, Augustana Academy, remained in Canton, South Dakota, until it closed in 1971.
The following is a summary of the record groups held in the archives.
- President's Office
- Academic Services
- Augustana Research Institute
- Ancillary Agencies
- Student Services
- Financial Services
- Lutheran Normal School
- Augustana Academy
- Student Organizations
- College and Student Publications
- Audiovisual Recordings
Most of the archives holdings are restricted to authorized personnel of the college. However, certain records, deemed historical in nature, are open to researchers, including official publications, photographs, and audiovisual recordings. Some of the most frequently requested materials are available to view online:
- Augustana College/University yearbooks
- Augustana College/University student newspapers
- Augustana College/University alumni publications
- Augustana Academy yearbooks, student newspapers, and alumni publications
- Lutheran Normal School student newspapers
Access to the physical archives is by appointment only. For more information, contact the Collections Assistant Elizabeth Cisar.