Returning Student Room Selection
Room Selection is the process by which current Augustana students select their on-campus space for the upcoming year. Each process works differently, so make sure to read all information thoroughly.
December 2, 2019
- Same Room Selection applications available (deadline is February 17 at 5 pm)
- Theme house applications available (deadline is March 2 at 5 pm)
- Apartment lottery applications available (deadline is March 2 at 5 pm)
February 17, 2020 - Same Room Selection applications due by 5 pm
March 2, 2020 - Theme house and apartment lottery applications due by 5 pm
March 5, 2020 - Deadline for theme houses and apartments to submit alternate roommate(s), if applicable
March 6, 2020 - Apartment and theme house notifications sent out via Augie email
March 19, 2020 - Proxy forms due at 5 pm for Room Selection Day
March 22, 2020 - Room Selection Day for residence halls. Please arrive at your designated appointment time. Times will be emailed to every student in early March.
Room Selection Processes
Same Room Selection (previously called Homesteading): Open to all current residents who live in apartments and select residence halls.
Theme House Selection: Current theme house residents, as well as current second-year students and above who wish to participate in the theme house program, must submit an application to be considered for a theme house.
Apartment Selection: Current second-year students and above may participate in the apartment selection lottery.
Residence Hall Room Selection: All current students are able to participate in this process.
Same Room Selection Application - Deadline to submit is Monday, February 17 at 5 pm
Students who currently live in the following communities and will be returning as a student in 2020-2021 are eligible to participate in Same Room Selection:
- Balcer, Costello, Duluth, Nelsen, Norse Inn, Schoeneman, and Svendsbye Apartments
- East, Granskou, Stavig, and Tuve (1st and 3rd floor only) Halls
Applications must be submitted by 5 pm on Monday, February 17. This is a hard deadline. Any Same Room Selection applications that are submitted after this time will not be approved. You will be notified of your status on or before February 21, 2020.
Residence Hall Guidelines
- Rooms designated as doubles are not available for Same Room Selection as a single room; this applies even if you bought out a double room as a single room in 2019-2020. Students who participate in Same Room Selection must identify a roommate or have one assigned to them.
- If both you and your current roommate plan to return to the same room, only one of you needs to complete the application.
- Current Viking Advisors are not eligible for Same Room Selection.
- A majority of current residents in your apartment must be returning in order to be eligible for Same Room Selection. If you are in a 4-person apartment, 3 people need to return. In a 3-person apartment, 2 people need to return, and in a 2-person apartment, 1 person needs to return.
- You must list all replacement roommates, if applicable, in your application. Your apartment must be full in order to be approved for Same Room Selection. If you cannot find a roommate to fill an empty space in your apartment, your application will not be approved. This applies even if your apartment was not full in 2019-2020.
- If one of your roommates is selected as a Viking Advisor (VA) for the 2020-2021 academic year, you have until Thursday, March 5, 2020 at 5 pm to identify a replacement roommate. Candidates in the Campus Life student leader selection process (this includes VA candidates) will be notified of their status on Friday, February 28, 2020. There is space on the application for an alternate roommate, and you are encouraged to inclue an alternate roommate name if one of your roommates is applying to be a VA.
- Only one person from each apartment needs to complete this application.
Important Information Regarding Summer Housing and Storage
Please note that being approved for Same Room Selection does not automatically sign you up for summer housing. That is a separate process that will open in April 2020.
Residents are not able to store personal items in their room, apartment, or house over the summer if they are not signed up for summer housing. This policy is in place so our staff can complete necessary maintenance and housekeeping on unused spaces and provide housing options for summer students and summer camps. The PODS storage program is available to all on-campus residents as a summer storage option; more information will be available in spring 2020, including rates and drop-off times.
Theme house application on Viking Central - Deadline to submit is Monday, March 2 at 5 pm
Theme houses are specialized on-campus housing options which allow residents to merge their passion for academic excellence and service through peer education and local service opportunities. Houses are designed for 3-15 participants who, with guideance from a faculty/staff advisor, create and plan at least two service or education projects per semester with a focus of their choice.
Current sophomores and above (those who graduated high school in spring 2018 or earlier) are encouraged to apply for a theme house.
Why live in a theme house?
- It's a great way to merge your academic experience with opportunities to educate other students and give back to the community.
- Flexible housing assignments mean your theme house group may consist of any student, regardless of gender identity.
- Double and single room options are available in designated houses.
- You can enjoy increased independence with access to all the resources available for students who live on campus.
Theme house applications are due at 5 pm on March 2, 2020.
If one of your roommates is selected as a Viking Advisor (VA) for the 2020-2021 academic year, you have until Thursday, March 5, 2020 at 5 pm to identify a replacement roommate. Candidates in the Campus Life student leader selection process (this includes VA candidates) will be notified of their status on Friday, February 28, 2020.
Apartment lottery opt-in form - Deadline to submit is Monday, March 2 at 5 pm
Current sophomores and above (those who graduated high school in spring 2018 or earlier) are eligible to opt into the apartment lottery. The apartments are a great option for students who are looking for more independence in their on-campus living experience.
Apartment communities accommodate 1-4 residents per unit, depending on the building and room layout.
Why live in an apartment?
- Flexible housing assignments mean your apartment group may consist of any student, regardless of gender identity.
- Double and single room options are available in designated apartments.
- You can enjoy increased independence with access to all the resources available for students who live on campus.
Please note that your roommate group must match the size of the apartment exactly. You will not be assigned to an apartment if you do not have enough roommates to fill all the bedrooms.
If one of your roommates is selected as a Viking Advisor (VA) for the 2020-2021 academic year, you have until Thursday, March 5, 2020 at 5 pm to identify a replacement roommate. Candidates in the Campus Life student leader selection process (this includes VA candidates) will be notified of their status on Friday, February 28, 2020. There is space on the application for an alternate roommate, and you are encouraged to inclue an alternate roommate name if one of your roommates is applying to be a VA.
Students who are married, have dependents, are over the age of 23, or are in an Augustana graduate program may be eligible for consideration in Costello Apartments if space is available. Please contact Campus Life at 605-274-5215 if interested.
Room Selection Day takes place on Sunday, March 22, 2020.
Residence Hall Options
Tuve Hall - Tuve offers double and a limited number of single rooms, all of which are a part of themed communities. All rooms have new furniture and finishes. Serve. Grow. Lead. is a co-ed floor, and the Flexible Housing community is a gender-inclusive floor.
East Hall (juniors and seniors only) - East offers unique single rooms. Floors are single-gender.
Room Selection Day Procedures
All current students will be assigned a random lottery number and call time based on their class year. Augustana is a residential university that requires all first- and second-year students reside on campus. As a result, current first-year students will be assigned room selection times first. Augustana University and the Center for Campus Life are dedicated to housing any student who wishes to positively participate in our on-campus community. However, preferred housing placement is not guaranteed.
Before Room Selection Day
- All current students are assigned a random lottery number and appointment time for Room Selection Day. Any student who wishes to live on campus and has not been assigned a theme house or apartment through other processes should plan to attend.
- Students may participate in information sessions and residence hall tours to understand their options. Dates, times, and locations will be on Viking Central.
- If a student is unable to participate in Room Selection Day, they must identify a proxy (another student) to select a space on their behalf. Complete the proxy form by 5 pm on March 19, 2020.
- Your 2020-2021 housing contract will be made available on your Residence dashboard. To save time on Room Selection Day, you may sign it beforehand.
Room Selection Day
- Arrive to the Commons 3-in-1 Room 15 minutes prior to your appointment time for check-in.
- You will be asked to line up in order of your lottery number.
- Once your appointment time begins, you will meet with a Campus Life staff member who will help you select your space from rooms available.
- If you were unable to select your preferred space, waiting lists will be available for single rooms, theme communities, and fully occupied residence halls or floors.
- You will also select your meal plan for 2020-2021.
- If you have not yet signed your housing contract, you will need to do that before you leave.
After Room Selection Day
- Campus Life will notify you by email if you are selected from a waiting list for one or more of your preferred spaces. You will have 5 business days to accept or decline the offer.
- If a new roommate is placed in your room, you will receive an email from Campus Life. Roommates may be placed at any time, including over the summer, so it is a good idea to check your Augustana email regularly.
- Your room and roommate information will be available on your Residence dashboard after Room Selection Day. This information will also be on your student portal starting July 1.
- If you no longer wish to live on campus, you must contact the Center for Campus Life by June 1, 2020, to cancel your housing contract. Any withdrawal from University housing after this date is subject to a cancellation fee of $400 and a forfeiture of the $100 housing deposit.
Any resident who has not yet identified a roommate for 2020-2021 is invited to attend the Roommate Social on March 17 at 8 pm in the Back Alley. There will be snacks, time for mingling, and guided activities to help residents find a roommate.
Current first-year students who wish to live off campus their second year can submit an off campus housing request. The 2-year residency requirement may be waived if the student meets one of the following criteria:
- Plans to live at home (local address) with parent/guardian
- Is married and/or has children
- Graduated high school in spring 2018 or earlier
- Is a part-time student (10 credit hours or fewer)
Current sophomores and above who plan to live off campus next academic year do not need to submit the off campus request form, since they are no longer required to live on campus.