AU Banner

Living Off Campus

This page contains information for students wishing to live off campus during their first or second year of college. 

Residency Requirement

Augustana requires full-time students to live in on-campus housing through the end of their second year. Your high school graduation date, not your academic classification based upon credits, is used to determine your classification in relation to the two-year residency requirement. 

Off Campus Approval Process

  1. Review the information on this page.
  2. Complete an Off-Campus Housing Request Form.
  3. A staff member will contact you regarding your request. You may need to provide additional paperwork.

Criteria for Approval

The following are reasons a student would be approved to live off campus during their first or second year of attendance.

  • Students commuting from family member/guardian's home
  • Married students
  • Students with children
  • Part-time students
  • High school graduation date more than two years prior to enrollment

Additional Information

  • Off campus approval may have implications for your financial aid package. If you are approved to live off-campus OR choose not to enroll in a full meal plan, your Augustana Gift Assistance will be pro-rated at 90% (80% for both). Please contact the Financial Aid Office for information specific to your aid package.
  • If you gain off campus approval while you are living in University housing, you must check out of your room appropriately and in a timely manner, specified by Housing in your approval notification.
  • Once you have been approved to live off campus, you do not need to apply again for subsequent years. Your approval is good for the remainder of your enrollment at Augustana. Please contact the Student Affairs office if you are interested in moving back on campus.

Cancellation Policy

If you are approved to move off campus, please be sure to cancel any University housing by June 1 of your contract year in order to avoid incurring the cancellation fee of $400 and the forfeiture of your $100 housing deposit. This cancellation fee is applicable to all students cancelling University housing after June 1, including those who are approved to live off campus through the request process.

For more information, contact the Student Affairs office at 605.274.5215 or