The education department at Augustana has a reputation as one of the best in the Midwest for our award-winning professors and top-notch program emphases giving you the opportunity to teach for all types of learners.
The Education Department has adopted the Circle of Courage as its philosophy of education. The central theme of this model is that a set of shared values — belonging, mastery, independence, and generosity — must exist to create positive learning environments. Department faculty reflect this stance in their teaching and strive to dispose teacher candidates to create classrooms and schools that embody all four values of the Circle of Courage.
In the Education Department, your campus classroom experiences are hands-on and you’ll engage in field experiences from the very beginning of your program, working as tutors, mentors, and classroom assistants. By the time you are officially student teaching in your final semester, your relationship with the faculty is described as “collegial.” Our program boasts 100 percent placement in classrooms for all program graduates who choose to continue in the education field.
All programs leading to initial level certification are approved by the South Dakota Department of Education (SD DOE).
Annual Reporting Measures
PRAXIS pass rates on the Content and Pedagogical (PLT) Exams:
- 2016-2017: 98% on PLT & 97% on Content Exams
- 2015-2016: 98% on PLT & 92% on Content Exams
- 2014-2015: 95% on PLT & 97% on Content Exams
- 2013-2014: 100% on PLT & 97% on Content Exams
- 2012-2013: 98% on PLT & 98% on Content Exams
- 2011-2012: 100% on PLT & 100% on Content Exams
Teacher Education Candidate Performance on Key Assessments: 3 Year Average
- PRAXIS Content Exam: 96% pass rate
- GPA in the Content Major: 3.50
- Unit Plan: 3.50
- ST Final Performance Evaluation: 3.40
- ST Assessment Project: 3.11
- PRAXIS PLT Exam: 98% pass rate
Follow Up Survey of Program Completers and Their Employers