The Augustana Student Success Center and the Augustana Alumni Association have mapped out some milestones to hit before Commencement 2017 on Saturday, May 20. This is your guide to the deadlines, special events, and strategies for life after Augustana.
- Academic To-Do List
- Pre-Graduation Career Prep Events
- Workshops for Graduating International Students
- Career To-Do List
- Just for Fun
- Take the GRE, MCAT, LSAT, etc., if required for your targeted graduate school program.
- Update and review your Official Audit that was sent after you applied for graduation.
- Don't have an Official Audit of your transcript? Then you need to apply for graduation.
Join us for these career-prep events, organized by the Student Success Center:
- The Write Stuff: Resume Writing
Tuesday, Feb. 14 | 10-10:30 a.m. | Canton Room
From framing your experience to introducing yourself effectively, this session will highlight best practices for resumes and career fairs. Registration not required.
- Newbie to Networking: The Secret to Securing Opportunities
Tuesday, Feb. 28 | 10-10:30 a.m. | Canton Room
Leverage LinkedIn and the Augie Advantage in your job search. Career advisors will demystify networking and help you navigate these conversations like a pro. Registration not required
- B.I.G. (Business, Industry, & Government) + Teacher Job Fair
Thursday, March 2 | 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. | Sioux Falls Convention Center
Networking with more than 100 employers and nearly 50 school districts couldn’t be easier.
Registration is required. To waive the entrance fee and gain FREE access to this event, pre-register through GetGrads by Friday, Feb. 17. Or, register the day of the event for $10.
- Speed Networking
Wednesday, March 8 | 6:30-8:30 p.m. | Froiland Science Complex, Room 113 (A)
Networking couldn't be easier! Attend the event and connect with more than 20 recent AU alumni. Gain valuable advice about launching your career and life after graduation. Registration not required
- LinkedIn Facelift
Tuesday, April 11 | 10-10:30 a.m. | Canton Room
Leverage best practices to enhance your profile and use of LinkedIn in your job search. Registration not required
- International Student OPT Workshop
Tuesday, Feb. 14 | Noon and 4 p.m. | Halverson Room
Thursday, Feb. 16 | 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. | Halverson Room
Learn about Optional Practical Training options for work after graduation for students on an F-1 student visa. Registration not required
- Carefully reflect on the jobs or graduate programs that appeal most to you and research your options.
- Meet with a Success Center career advisor for feedback on your resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile, personal statement or interview responses. View related resources.
- Locate and network with alumni through Augustana’s LinkedIn University page.
- Monitor the jobs posted in Augie Opportunities, as well as other search engines. Learn more methods for finding jobs.
- Prepare for and be ready to introduce yourself during job fairs or networking events.
- Rehearse responses to interview questions. Learn more about popular questions and behavior based interviews.
- Whatever your destination after graduation, we want to celebrate the good news once you have finalized your plans. Complete our career outcome survey to update us of your employment or enrollment in graduate school.
- Take photos with friends at your favorite campus locations.
- Plan a reunion with your freshman floor.
- Thank the professor who most impacted, changed or challenged you.
- Stop by the bookstore to pick up your first "Augustana Alumni" shirt.
- Take a photo with friends by the Ole statue and an Augustana sign.
- Connect with Augustana Alumni on social media. Like our Facebook pages for Augustana Alumni and Augustana GOLD and follow us on Twitter @augiealumni.
- Join our Augustana University (SD) Alumni and Friends group on LinkedIn.
- Create your profile on AugieLink, your network to nearly 30,000 Augustana alumni around the world. Then post a class note to share your plans after graduation with your classmates.
- Share and tag your photos throughout Commencement Weekend. #AugieGrad