The Hovland Center for Liturgical Arts (HCLA) connects area churches, clergy, visual and performing artists and architects through networking and education.
The center seeks to be a resource to clergy and congregations that are initiating building and remodeling projects or exploring ways to enhance the liturgical arts in their churches.
The center provides a searchable database of photographs that document the visual art of churches in the area. The database is available by appointment Monday through Friday. Contact John Peters at 605.274.5424 to schedule an appointment.
The Hovland Center for Liturgical Arts Collection contains photographs of architecture and visual art in churches and other places of worship in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and neighboring communities in the Midwest.
⇒ The Collection
Search the database at the Hovland Center (located at 30th Street and South Grange Avenue in the Center for Visual Arts) for ideas, information and inspiration. You will receive assistance with any searches. Contact John Peters at 605.274.5424 to schedule an appointment.
⇒ Expanding the Collection
If you wish to suggest additions to the photographs currently in the collection — please contact us.
Information about stained glass windows in the collection has been enhanced through research conducted in 2011 by Dr. Barbara Johnson, humanities scholar. Johnson's work was funded through a grant from the South Dakota Humanities Council.
Periodic lectures and other events on campus stimulate conversations about how the arts enrich faith and advance theological understanding, fulfilling the center's role as a focal point for education and communication around liturgical arts. The center also is becoming a place of connection and a catalyst for bringing together those whose work is manifested through liturgical arts. The center also encourages and supports the performing arts used in liturgy and worship.
The history of the Hovland Center for Liturgical Arts is grounded in the life and work of three members of the Augustana art faculty: Robert Aldern, Palmer Eide and Ogden Dalrymple.
Augustana thanks Howard and Eunice Hovland for their sustained and generous financial support.
The Center welcomes your inquiries about resources and suggestions for programs.
The Hovland Center for Liturgical Arts is the legacy of Augustana art professors, in particular, Bob Aldern, Palmer Eide and Ogden Dalrymple.
Robert Aldern (1929-2011), artist-in-residence and member of the art faculty for three decades, was widely known for his magnificent liturgical art installations. Aldern contributed his vision and artistic talent to making the Hovland Center for Liturgical Arts a reality. The reredos in the Chapel of Reconciliation is one example of his work on campus.
Two other former members of the Augustana art department faculty, Palmer Eide (1906-1991) and Ogden Dalrymple (1908-1991), were key figures in the history of the center. During their tenures, each artist established relationships with architects and churches in and around Sioux Falls. Their work is on display on Augustana’s campus as well as in many sanctuaries in the region.
Eide's liturgical work on campus includes the walnut statue of the "Glorified and Risen Christ." It can be found in the Chapel of Reconciliation along with a font and dove, pulpit and altar that he designed and built. Noteable among Dalrymple's liturgical work on campus is the figure of "Moses" at the Mikkelsen Library. Their collaboration in liturgical art can be found in "The Sower" found in the Chapel's entrance hall and in "Creatures of Creation" on the exterior of Mikkelsen Library.
Former Augustana art faculty member Carl Grupp initiated the photographic collection that was incorporated into the Hovland Center for Liturgical Arts Collection online. John Peters, adjunct faculty member, took the photographs and continues active involvement with the project.
Augustana thanks Howard and Eunice Hovland for their sustained and generous financial support of the Hovland Center for Liturgical Arts.View liturgical artwork by Eide and Dalrymple