The Top AU Stories of 2019
As 2019 comes to a close, we look back at the top stories from Augustana University over the last year.
- 2019 J-Term Draws 187 Students for Off-Campus Opportunities
Student travel for Augustana J-Term spans the globe from South America to Europe to Asia.
- Fall 2018 Dean's List Announced
Augustana University congratulates the students named to the Dean's List for the fall semester of the 2018-19 academic year.
- Abobakr and Solberg Named 2019 Peace Scholars
Augustana University today announced that juniors Chofian (JuJu) Abobakr and Ryan Solberg have been named the 2019 Augustana Peace Scholars.
- 2019 Concerto-Aria Competition Winners Announced
The 2019 Concerto-Aria Concert event on Saturday, May 4, at the Washington Pavilion will feature cellist Anabelle Lecy, mezzo-soprano Lauren Sandison, and pianist Josh Jaton as soloists with the Augustana Orchestra.
- Native American Endowed Scholarship Triples in Size at Augustana
The Prairie Sage Scholarship Endowment benefits from a generous gift that, along with several other recent gifts that it inspired, has tripled the size of the endowment.
- Class of 2018: 98% Job Placement
According to a new report, 98 percent of recent Augustana grads seeking employment are employed in a position related to their major or chosen field.
- Woodward and Bernstein Drew a Crowd of Thousands to the 23rd Annual Boe Forum
This year's sold-out Boe Forum on Public Affairs event addressed "Power, the Press and the Presidency” to nearly 4,000 people in Augustana's Elmen Center.
- 2019 Covenant Award Nominees Announced
The 2019 Augustana Covenant Award nominees were recognized on Monday, April 1, during worship in the Chapel of Reconciliation.
- Meet the 2019 Covenant Award Recipients
Five students were recognized for their exemplary commitment Augustana's core values at the 2019 Covenant Award ceremony, held Friday, April 5.
- Inaugural Student Research Symposium Award Recipients
Four Augustana students received the inaugural Research Symposium Awards on Saturday, April 6, during the Arthur Olsen Student Research Symposium.
- 'Puberty: The Musical' Recognized at National Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival
The Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF), a national theater program involving 20,000 students from colleges and universities nationwide, recognized “Puberty: The Musical,” written by Augustana University junior Coleman Peterson '20.
- Augustana University Announces New Bachelor of Fine Arts
Augustana University announced that it will launch a new bachelor of fine arts (B.F.A.) degree effective for the 2019-20 academic year.
- Congratulations 2019 National Champions
For the second time in program history, the Augustana Softball team claimed a national title. As 2019 Division II Softball National Champions, they beat Texas A&M-Kingsville in a best-of-three series, 2-1 on May 27.
- Courtney Place '19 Selected as a Winner for Victoria's Secret First PINK GRL Project
Place is one of 20 winners to receive the $10,000 award.
- In the News: Longtime Augustana Art Professor and Former Department Chair Carl Grupp Passes Away at 79
Longtime Augustana Art Professor and Former Department Chair Carl Grupp Passes Away at 79.
- Augustana University Announces Spring 2019 Dean's List
Augustana announced the spring 2019 Dean's List for the 2018-19 academic year.
- Augustana University Named One of the Best Colleges Nationally for Post-Graduation Employment
Augustana University was ranked second nationally for post-graduation employment by career site Zippia.
- In the News: Augustana shines nationwide for job placement as it plans for future workforce needs
Augustana has several factors contributing to successful career placement ranking for graduates.
- Student Success Center leader receives national honors for advising work
Billie Streufert, executive director of Augustana's Student Success Center, received national recognition for her advising work.
- Augustana to Recognize Alumni for Achievement in the Arts
Augustana will honor alumni for excellence and achievement in the performing and visual arts during the Viking Days Command Performance at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 11, at the Washington Pavilion.
- Augustana Announces 2019 Alumni Achievement Award Recipients
Six Augustana alumni will be honored during Viking Days for their outstanding achievements in their fields and for exemplifying the core values of Augustana University: Christian Faith, Excellence, Liberal Arts, Community and Service.
- Augustana Outdoor Classroom
Augustana builds first outdoor classroom on campus.
- Athletics Announces 2019 Hall of Fame Inductees
The 50th class of inductees for the Augustana University Athletic Hall of Fame has been selected and includes former student-athletes from several Viking programs.
- Augustana University Receives National Science Foundation Grant
Augustana University has been awarded a three-year $187,063 grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF) to support Dr. Andrew Klose and student researchers to carry out experimental nuclear science research.
- Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Ranking Places Augustana at the Top in South Dakota
Augustana University ranks 85th among universities in the Midwest and highest among universities in South Dakota.
- Augustana University Ranks as Top 10 Best Regional University by U.S. News & World Report
Augustana University has been named a Top 10 regional university for the first time by U.S. News & World Report – ranking #9 in Best Regional Universities in the Midwest. In previous years, Augustana was categorized and highly ranked as a Best Regional College. The new classification underscores the university’s growth in academic programming and high student outcomes. Augustana is listed in other Best Regional University Midwest categories: #2 Best Value, #8 (tie) in Most Innovative, and #12 (tie) in Best Undergraduate Teaching.
- 2019-20 Academic Year Opens, Sophomore Honors Recognized
Together with their professors, Augustana's newest Vikings — the Class of 2023 — witnessed the official opening of the 2019-20 academic year at the August 27 Opening Convocation ceremony. The event marked the beginning of the University's 159th academic year and was held on campus in the Elmen Center.
- AU’s Newest Podcast: Calling All Years Good
In September 2019, Studio 47 launched its own podcast based on the popular book, “Calling All Years Good: Christian Vocation Throughout Life’s Seasons,” and enlisted campus speakers to address each life stage.
- Augustana Welcomes New Faculty Members to Campus
With the 2019-20 academic year officially underway, Augustana welcomes nine new faculty to our AU community this fall.
- Hattervig and Krishna Kumar Crowned 2019 Viking Days King and Queen
Seniors Logan Hattervig, Carthage, South Dakota, and Kirtana Krishna Kumar, Ghaziabad, India, were crowned the 2019 Viking Days King and Queen at Coronation on Monday.
- 'Pill Buddy' Entry Earns 2nd-Place at the Sanford Health Tech Summit
Augustana students Taha Afzal '21, Alexander (Jowi) Amayo '22, Daniel Leite '22 and Pawan Subedi '22 earned 2nd-place and a cash prize of $7,000 at the Sanford Health Tech Summit for their medication management system, Pill Buddy.
- Augustana’s Boe Forum Explores the Impact of Genetic Engineering on our Future
Augustana University and the Center for Western Studies announced Drs. Robert Green and Jamie Metzl as keynote speakers for the 24th Boe Forum on Public Affairs to be held at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, March 23, in the Elmen Center.
- Augustana University to Offer MBA Degree Program
Augustana will launch two versions of the MBA program – a 4+1 option for current undergraduate students and a two-year option for working professionals who have already earned a bachelor's degree.
- Augustana University Pastor Paul Rohde Retiring from Campus Ministry
After more than 18 years, Rev. Dr. Paul Rohde is retiring from Augustana University Campus Ministry.
- Team Chosen to Represent Augustana at Regionals in Hult Prize Competition
On Tuesday, Dec. 3, judges voted on AU's 2020 Hult Prize campus-level competition winner who will move on to the regional competition this spring.
- Augustana University Strategic Plan Approved by Board of Trustees
Following a 10-month campuswide strategic planning process, Augustana University announced today that the Augustana Board of Trustees has endorsed the university’s 2030 strategic plan.
Media Inquiries: Contact Jill Wilson, public relations and communications strategist.