Augustana University is proud to announce that six of its students have been awarded Fred C. and J. Marie Christopherson Scholarships for the 2022-23 academic year.
Augustana faculty and staff nominate upperclass students (juniors and seniors) for the awards and the Augustana Faculty Scholarship and Awards Committee makes selections on the basis of scholarship, campus and community service, as well as how well the nominees fit the donors' description as someone “equipped for life.”
The recipients of the Fred C. and J. Marie Christopherson Scholarship are recognized as students who are committed to the university, respected by their peers, have a strong work ethic and a solid character.
The 2022-23 Christopherson Scholarship recipients are:
- Maryam Aljeelawi, biology major, of Sioux Falls
- Tsegab Arega, government & international affairs and sociology double major, of Sioux Falls
- Lawrence Lokonobei, engineering physics major, of Salt Lake City, Utah
- Caleigh Sanchez, government & international affairs and Spanish double major, of Mitchell, South Dakota
- Henry Sule, government & international affairs and finance double major, of Jos, Nigeria
- Vedant Thakkar, biology major, of Vadodara, India
Fred C. Christopherson, who died in 1989, was the editor of the Sioux Falls Argus Leader for 31 years. J. Marie Christopherson, who died in 1989, wrote the "Driftwood" column published in the Argus Leader for 20 years.