Every year, members of the Augustana University community join together for a series of events that celebrates three aspects of the life and legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. — faith, advocacy and service.
This year, Augustana centered its programming around the quote, "True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice," taken from Stride Toward Freedom: The Montgomery Story — MLK’s memoir of the Montgomery bus protest, published in 1958.
“Dr. King so eloquently wove together three key core tenets that mirror many of the life-changing core values that one would experience on our campus at any given moment. Our campus community celebrates and honors Dr. King’s life and legacy as a reminder that we all play a role in dismantling systems of injustice wherever they might be. We stand firm in the notion shared with us in the ‘Rooted and Open’ common calling, that we are ‘called and empowered to serve the neighbor so that all may flourish,’” said Augustana Assistant Vice Provost of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Willette Capers.
Hosted by several Augustana offices and student organizations, the following is a schedule of events planned for the week of Jan. 16, on the university’s campus:
Monday, Jan. 16
- 4 p.m. | @AUDiversitySD on Instagram | Social Media Livestream Event “Finding Power Through Struggle” With Mental Health & Wellness Specialist Mariah Mogck
Tuesday, Jan. 17
- 11 a.m. | Student Street in the Morrison Commons | Peace Walk/Scavenger Hunt
- 12:30 | Lunch & Learn: Inspiring Good Trouble | 3-in-1 Room
- This lunch & learn will highlight how folks can inspire “good trouble” in their community and circle(s) of influence based on the famous quote from Rep. John Lewis, who devoted his life to racial justice and equality, “Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble.” RSVP
Wednesday, Jan. 18
- 11:45 a.m. | Chapel of Reconciliation | Service With Deputy Director of South Dakota Voices for Peace Jen Dreiske
- 6 p.m. | Hamre Recital Hall in the Fryxell Humanities Center | 2053 ACE Institute Alumni Summit — Bright Young Futures With ACE Academy
Thursday, Jan. 19
- 11 a.m. | Student Street in the Morrison Commons |Power to the People Pin Decorating
- 12:30 | 3-in-1 Room in the Morrison Commons | Desserts & Discussions With Community Activist Julian Beaudion RSVP
Friday, Jan. 20
- 11:30 a.m. | Back Alley in the Morrison Commons | Showing the Movie “Selma”