Wondering where to explore locally for day trips and excursions? Check out these locations for ways to get outdoors and active in all seasons.
- Road: The Sioux Falls Bike Trail provides approximately 29 miles of paved multi-use pathways.
- Mountain/Off-Road: Within the city and nearby are a few options for off-road biking including Leaders Park, Yankon Trail Singletrack, and Newton Hills State Park.
- Outdoor: Two state parks within 45 minutes of Sioux Falls are considered climbing 'hot spots' in southeastern South Dakota. Palisades State Park, located in Garretson, SD, is a little over 150 acres of beautiful Sioux quartzite rock formations for the avid climber. Blue Mounds State Park, located in Luverne, MN, also offers a variety of climbing experiences. Both state parks require a daily park permit for park access.
- Indoor: Augustana Outdoor Program frequently uses a small indoor rock wall located at Central Baptist Church. This wall has 5 ropes and a variety of routes and is free for us to use. We frequently travel to the University of South Dakota and occasionally South Dakota State University to use their walls as well. Both walls are approximately an hour away from Sioux Falls, making indoor climbing less accessible than outdoor most times of year. We also travel to Climberz gym to use their facilities.
- Hiking is one of the most accessible forms of recreation in the Sioux Falls area. Whether you want to find a spot on your lunch hour (Sioux Falls Bike Trail or Sertoma Park/Outdoor Campus) or something out of town (Newton Hills State Park or Palisades State Park), our area has options! Experience Sioux Falls has their top recommendations for local hikes.
- Sioux Falls is lucky to have the beautiful Big Sioux River right at our front steps. Check out this map to see access points along the Big Sioux for paddlers. Other options (including rentals) for paddlers can be found on Simply South Dakota, showcasing options near and far across our lovely state. The South Dakota Canoe & Kayak Association and South Dakota Game, Fish, and Parks are both great resources for local paddling information.
- Ice Skating/Rinks: The City of Sioux Falls offers multiple outdoor rinks during the winter seasons with cheap skate rentals. Two of these locations offer hockey nets as well. The closest option to Augie is Campus Park, located on Summit Ave. Indoor ice rinks are available year-round at Scheels IcePlex.
- Downhill Skiing/Snowboarding/Tubing/Sledding: Great Bear Recreation Park offers over 220 acres to explore! In the colder months, 14 downhill trails and a ski lift are open for snowboarding and downhill skiing. Snow tubing is alo available. Equipment rentals and lessons are offered on-site. Check out Tuthill Park when there's snow, as it is a popular sledding location (and borrow a sled from Rec. Services)!
- Cross Country Skiing/Snowshoeing: The City of Sioux Falls offers three options for groomed Nordic (classic and skate) ski trails: Spencer Park, Sertoma Park and Great Bear Recreation Park.
Local Outdoor Stores and Rentals
Check local stores for outdoor gear, clothing and rentals. Remember-Augustana Outdoor Program does have a variety of outdoor gear available for to rent for free!