A finance major can lead to a successful career as a financial manager, chief financial officer (CFO), investment advisor/financial planner, security analyst, valuation expert, mortgage advisor, banker or financial consultant.
Students participate in areas of finance outside the classroom, where they compete in the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Challenge and follow publicly-traded securities.
Internship opportunities include:
- South Dakota’s International Trade Center, Trust Company or Bureau of Personnel
- Equity Trust Company
- Total Card, Inc. (TCI)
- Trident Trust
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
Finance students study away in:
- London, England; Paris, France; and Oslo, Norway — focusing on sustainable business with AU faculty
- Thailand — focusing on global economics with AU faculty
- London, England — focusing on Brexit with AU faculty
Courses & Organizations
Courses aim to teach major concepts in financial management while developing analytical, decision-making and communication skills. Finance students may pursue a double major or minor in other areas, including accounting, actuarial science, business administration, economics, management information systems, management and marketing.
Finance students often participate in:
- Business Club
- Investment Club
- Augustana Student Association (ASA) as treasurer