October 1, 2021
Written by Public Relations & Communications Strategist Jill Wilson
Augustana is excited to announce that it will be celebrating the best week of the year — Viking Days 2021 — on Sunday, Oct. 3, through Sunday, Oct. 10. During Augustana’s version of homecoming, current and past Vikings come together for a week of festivities to celebrate all things blue and gold.
“With all that has happened over the past 18 months, alumni are excited to return to campus. This year, we will continue to incorporate our legacy events into Vikings Days and you will find that we are hosting some new events downtown. We are also excited to welcome back the newly resurrected Augustana Marching Band in our parade,” said Senior Director of Alumni Engagement Joel Gackle.
Viking Days 2021 festivities will kick off the evening of Sunday, Oct. 3, with a host of student, alumni and friends events taking place all week.
“Viking Days is always one of the most exciting weeks on Augustana’s campus. The students love seeing the alumni come back and the alumni enjoy seeing how the campus has changed. Last year’s celebrations were reimagined, however, they taught us some new ways to connect that have again become a part of the Viking Days experience,” said Jennifer Meiners, director of event services.
“‘Viking Days Postcards’ and ‘Guest Pass to an AU Class’ were created as a result of the pandemic to allow alumni to get a taste of college life again. They were so popular, we brought those aspects back this year. Many students and alumni are eager to see the return of the Viking Days Parade and football game as well, which will once again feature Augustana’s very own Viking Marching Band! The School of Music will help end the weekend right by offering music from both The Augustana Choir and Orchestra during a special Viking Days Worship at the Chapel of Reconciliation on campus. We can’t wait to see all of our planning take shape over this incredible weekend!”
Homecoming at Augustana is one of the university’s longest-standing traditions, with the first celebration dating back to Oct. 24, 1924 — six years after Augustana College in Canton, South Dakota, moved to Sioux Falls, and two years after the name, Vikings, was adopted and the colors, blue and gold, were chosen. At the time, Rev. Dr. Charles Orin Solberg was president. Augustana’s homecoming officially became known as “Viking Days” in 1929.
Viking Days 2021 Highlights:
Sunday, Oct. 3
• Student Activity — Viking Days Kickoff: 5-7 p.m., Commons Patio/Campus Green
Monday, Oct. 4
• Viking Feast (All Campus Community Event): 4:30-7 p.m., Elmen Center
• Coronation (Crowning of the Viking Days Royalty): 7 p.m., Elmen Center
Tuesday, Oct. 5
• Student Activity — Sailing into Service, All day, Back Alley, Morrison Commons
Thursday, Oct. 7
• Student Activity — Float Building: 4-7 p.m., Fryxell Humanities Center parking lot
• Eide/Dalrymple Gallery Reception: 7-9 p.m., Gallery Talk at 7:30 p.m.
Augustana alumnus Kent Kapplinger ‘77 will have his work featured in the exhibit "A Quiet Voice Heard: Retrospective of Kent Kapplinger"
Friday, Oct. 8
• Honor Guard Luncheon: noon-1:30 p.m., Our Savior’s Lutheran Church
A luncheon for alumni who are celebrating or have celebrated their 50th class reunion. Members of the Classes of 1970 and 1971 will be inducted into the honor guard.
• Rendezvous Presentation: 4 p.m., Back Alley, Morrison Commons
• Augustana international students share presentations on their home countries. Volleyball vs. MSU Moorhead: 6 p.m., Elmen Center
• Soccer: 8 p.m., USF Sports Complex
• Sioux Falls Downtown Gatherings: 6 p.m.
Alumni and friends are invited to participate in Viking Days gatherings hosted at these downtown hotspots. Each location will have a unique program beginning at 6 p.m.
• R Wine Bar:
Hear School of Music student musicians, faculty and professional musicians for an incredible night of musical talent.
• Fernson Downtown:
Hear from Augustana Professor Dr. David O'Hara at 7:30 p.m.
• Remedy Brewing:
Hear from Head Football Coach Jerry Olszewski and Athletics Director Josh Morton at 7 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 9
• Viking Days Parade: 10:30 a.m.
◦ University Place from Prairie to Grange Avenues
◦ Grange Avenue from 26th to 33rd streets
• Viking Tailgate: 11 a.m., Augieville (Outside Kirkeby-Over Stadium)
All alumni, friends and family are welcome to join us before the big game with games and inflatables for the kids and lunch for everyone! $10 for adults, $5 for children
• Vikings Football vs. Upper Iowa: 1 p.m., Kirkeby-Over Stadium
Tickets are available at goaugie.com/tickets. Augustana’s Marching Band will perform at halftime.
• Volleyball vs. Northern State: 5 p.m., Elmen Center
• Student Activity — Lip-Sync Battle: 7 p.m., Back Alley, Morrison Commons
• Vikings Reunite: All Alumni Gathering, at 7:30 p.m., Five Oaks
Sunday, Oct. 10
• Viking Days Worship: 10 a.m., Chapel of Reconciliation Worship service with Campus Pr. Rev. Ann Rosendale, featuring special music by The Augustana Choir and choir alumni, as well as the Augustana Orchestra.
• Viking Days Brunch: 11:30 a.m., Ordal Dining Room, Morrison Commons