Graduates secure positions as CIS consultants, management services advisors, systems analysts and designers, programming managers and managers of information services and data processing departments.
Graduates typically enter the workforce with several offers from companies that include:
- Federated Insurance
- Wells Fargo
- Precision Computer
Internship opportunities include:
- Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center
- First PREMIER Bank
- Raven Industries
Professors’ research gives students the opportunity for real-world, cutting-edge experiences with state-of-the-art equipment, theory and projects.
Several ongoing research projects include collaborations with NASA, Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology (SDSMT) and the University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
Real-world research topics include:
- The Famine Early Warning System for Eastern Africa
- Drought Monitoring Systems for the Continental United States
- Fire Sequences and Re-growth Comparisons Between the Black Hills and Northern Siberia
- Investigations of the Seasonal Characteristics of Global Cover Types
CIS students study away in:
- Exeter, England — at the University of Exeter
- Amsterdam, Netherlands — at Vrije Universiteit
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam — at RMIT Vietnam
- The United Kingdom — focusing on physics and math
Courses & Organizations
This major deals with the commercial and human aspects of computing, with core courses in computer science and business.
Looking for an emphasis on the mathematical and scientific aspects of computers? See also the computer science and software engineering major.
CIS students often participate in:
- Campus jobs as tutors, networking specialists, computer laboratory assistants and network administrators
- Women in STEM
- Hult Prize
- Computer Science Club
- Union Board of Governors (UBG)