All programs leading to initial teaching certification, which includes elementary education, special education, secondary education and all-grades education, are considered pre-professional programs. Students may have declared an education major, but must meet established program entrance and exit requirements to be considered a teacher candidate. Once admitted, teacher candidates must maintain their status.
Transfer students should meet with the Office of Admission, arrange for official transcripts to be sent to the institution and meet with the Augustana Teacher Education Program's certification officer. Transfer students must complete at least 50% of the major and the last 30 credit hours at Augustana.
The application to the Augustana Teacher Education Program is completed during enrollment in EDUC 275. Admission to the program occurs upon confirmation of the following:
- Completion of at least 45 semester credit hours including EDUC 110, EDUC 245 and EDUC 275 with grades of at least C- or above
- GPA of 2.70 in the subject major, education major and overall cumulative
- All students, including transfer students, must complete at least two semesters of coursework at Augustana inclusive of at least one field experience to demonstrate acceptable academic performance and satisfactory professionalism ratings
- Approval from the academic advisor, the Teacher Education Program and the department of major
- Freedom from disciplinary status
- Satisfactory Ratings on Professionalism and no significant concerns about professionalism have been expressed, including but not limited to the staffing process, internal and external ratings on professionalism, academic honor code violations, etc.
The Augustana Teacher Education Program considers applications to the program once each semester, and with their approval, teacher candidates are granted full admission to the program. There is no provisional admission to the program. Teacher candidates will be notified of their admission status by the field placement coordinator.
Teacher candidates are responsible for a variety of external fees associated with the Augustana Teacher Education Program, including but not limited to the following:
- Background Check
- PRAXIS exam fees
- Other fees as required by accrediting agencies, the South Dakota Department of Education and/or cooperating schools and agencies.