Graduates are highly sought after to fill secondary or K-12 teaching positions and other career opportunities, including principal or superintendent, librarian and camp director.
In the teacher education program, campus classroom experiences are hands-on, and field experiences start from the first year — working as tutors, mentors and classroom assistants. This program’s renowned experiential learning leads to a semester of full-time student teaching, which often includes multiple placements.
Internship opportunities include:
- Augustana’s model classroom
- Camp counselor
- Surrounding school districts
Education students study away in:
- Kenya — focusing on the intersection of global food security and education with AU faculty
- Norway — for the exceptional children and youth practicum
- China — focusing on human relations in education with AU faculty
Courses & Organizations
A major in secondary or all-grades education requires students to pair their classroom studies with a content major in the area they would like to teach.
Those who declare a secondary education (grades 5-12) major may choose a content major in:
- Government & International Affairs
- Mathematics/STEM Composite
Those who declare an all-grades (K-12) education major may choose a content major in:
- Art Education
- Health Education
- Music Education
- Physical Education
Many education majors choose to earn a kindergarten endorsement or a minor in special education, athletic coaching, American Sign Language or Spanish.
Other certified teacher education paths include:
- Elementary Education
- Special Education
Students may have a declared education major but must meet established program entrance and exit requirements to be considered a teacher candidate. The application to the teacher education program is completed during enrollment in EDUC 275. Students must also fill out an application of intent to student teach and complete the Praxis exam.
Education students often participate in:
- Augustana University Education Association (AUEA)
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Deaf Awareness
- National Student Speech Language Hearing Association(NSSLHA)
- Residence Life
- Lost & Found
- Peer Navigator (Augie Access)